Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Saturday, August 7, 2010

What to do?

I have a dilemma. My fountain girl is lonely. I removed the Hosta that had surrounded her because they couldn’t take that much sun and the rabbits were eating them to bits, the beasts! She looked nice with the daffodils this spring but she needs something else for summer color. I had tried in the past, Periwinkle (Vinca minor) but that didn’t suppress the weeds as I had hoped, so, out they went. Most of them anyway. Occasionally I still get a sprig popping up here and there.


I tried Marigolds which looks fine but I’m just not in love with the idea of having to plant something around there every year. I want something permanent, a perennial. But which one? I thought of Black-eyed Susans because they would be so easy and I have plenty of them. But I also have tons of hybrid daylilies. Some really bright yellow, orange or pink blossoms would be very pretty, I think and the sword-like foliage would look full and sway nicely in the constant breeze in the side yard.

I could do Lady’s Mantle which I have surprisingly many of now. Never knew they could self sow so readily. They would make an unusual choice being they have no outstanding flower to speak of. The blossoms are a delicate form, almost like a foam spray and chartreuse in color so they rather blend in and become unobtrusive, but the foliage is quite lovely, in itself. Lovely enough that I may consider it, perhaps in conjunction with another flowering perennial. Maybe Butterfly Blue Scabiosa?

Of course, I’m always open for suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Personally I'd go for nasturtiums. Although not a perennial, they drop their seeds which pop up on their own each year. Rather viney, so wrap them around the lady. You may end of with an entire cloak around her body. As a bonus, the peppery leaves and the flowers are lovely in salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had them come back as some annuals do, such as Cosmos and Cleome and I was really thinking something that would come back on its own. But thanks, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?