Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, October 11, 2010

I am a gardening genius and I never make mistakes in the garden.

Pumpkin growing in a Pee Gee Hydrangea shrub is not a mistake...I keep telling myself, anyway.

Yes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it and if you had brains you'd say the same. Was it a mistake when some idiot left the mixer on at the soap factory and came up with the wonder soap we know as Ivory soap, so pure it floats? Heck, no! Was it a mistake when some moron left out a beaker full of who-knows-what chemical and a wayward mouse spilled something from a top shelf into it only to have the scientists find the miracle that is plastic come next morning? Absolutely not! So I ask you, is it garden mistakes we're making or our own genius at work? Well, you know how I feel about it! 

Garden mistakes, what most people think as garden mistakes, well, yes, I have made a bunch of those and not just in the garden if you don't include the greenhouse, houseplants and when those wonderful catalogs come pouring in during those dreary winter days and I order bunches and bunches of seeds. You can ask my hubby, Tommy, when he's trying to balance that mess we call a check book. Not a pretty sight, but we are talking of garden mistakes so, let's stick to that, if you please.

One time I made the "mistake" of planting a bit of Lysimachia Nummularia (perhaps better known to you as Pennywort, Moneywort or Creeping Jenny). This is a lovely low, ground-hugging plant with abundant bright-as-sunshine star shaped yellow flowers and round brilliant green leaves. They like to root all along the trailing stems making it a perfect ground cover for my yellow flower bed. I loved this little plant.

Only problem was I didn't know of its tendency of being rather invasive. Cute little Creeping Jenny pretty much spread like the flu in kindergarten class. It took over the entire bed. But then I realized that it was also suppressing weeds very effectively. It saved me loads of work not just in weeding. I didn't need to mulch anymore. It was, in fact, a living mulch and quite attractive too. So, you tell me, was it a mistake? Well, Jenny's still there, isn't she?

Another time Tommy asked me to remove a tree peony from its home at the edge of a flower bed.. It was the beautiful Paeonia Suffruticosa Rosea, a pretty pink ruffled double blossomed Tree Peony which always bloomed profusely and wonderfully. I didn't want to move it from that place of honor, the perfect spot for maximum impact.

"You gotta move it or it's going to get run over with the wheelbarrow when I'm trying to put it away," Tommy said to me.

With a resigned sigh I did....read more.

2 comments:

  1. You win first prize for Best Blog Post Title of the Week -- love it!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jim, but do I get a trophy? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?