Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

9-patch-3 bar quilt on point

This is the second full size quilt I made. This one was for Brandon. It was entirely done by hand while sitting in front of the TV. No, I didn't spend 8-10 hours straight on it. Pioneer women didn't have that luxury and nor did I. One to two possibly three hours a day between the cutting, sewing and  piecing together per day. It took me about a year and a half as I recall. It was super easy. It just takes a while to do it all. I didn't rush. There was no need for it. It was a soothing, relaxing and good way to do something useful while doing something useless. Yes, I regard watching TV as pretty much the most useless thing to do but when you have something to do while watching...then my friend, it's a great time spent on the comfy couch with my Tommy.

In future I will give practical lessons on how to do some of the easier quilt blocks. This one is shown here on point which just means the strips are sewn together on the diagonal. It can be done straight too. This is how it looks.

This is the same exact quilt but shown with straight rows. My mother was the first one to show me how to piece together scrap bits of fabric to form a blanket, but it was my friend Evie, who truly showed me the entire quilting process. I owe her so much for that. She passed along her knowledge and more often than not some of her considerable fabric stash. When I ran out of a good match for a quilt, Evie was always there to let me take what I wanted.

That's the really good thing about quilting. You gain friends of like mind who often gather together with their own projects just to pass the time together chatting. Or they join forces to make a quilt together to give away to a charity or to raffle off for a good cause. I highly recommend starting on the road to quilting. It's fun and good to keep the devil at bay. You know what they say about idle hands and the devil, right? ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hey there would you mind stating which blog platform you're using? I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm having a hard time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for
    something completely unique. P.S Sorry for
    getting off-topic but I had to ask!

    Visit my homepage :: confound.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was recommended this blog by means of my cousin. I'm not positive whether or not this submit is written via him as no one else realize such distinctive approximately my difficulty. You're incredible!
    Thank you!

    my weblog ... click here

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?