Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Common names vs Botanical names

By any other name this flower is still pretty
While touring my mother's garden, I came upon a very familiar annual flower. This flower is known by many common names but as usual for me, I call it by its botanical name which is rather pretty, Cleome. Some of the common names Cleome goes by are rather amusing, Spider flower, Spider legs and Grandpa's whiskers are the ones I know of, but my mother had another. This one gave me a laugh. Betana de burro is Cleome's name according to my mom. That roughly translates to Donkey's eyelashes. What a hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whacha think?