Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

P is for Pussy Willows



These are not pussy willows. This is my hedge of Rose-of-Sharon. When I woke up one morning to a light snow covering all the shrubs on the side yard, I had to laugh. I thought they looked just like Pussy willows in bloom.
 My French Pussy Willow which you can just make out behind the hedge towering over everything, is now too tall--a good thirty feet high-- too tall for me to actually see the pussy willow catkins and means I can't reach them either, which really stinks. I wanted the stupid plant to bring some stems inside for early spring forcing. When I asked Tommy if he would mind if I coppiced the tree,(meaning cutting it down to get it to branch out at the base) he gave me the answer I expected. "No, I don't like that idea at all!"


So, what I did was start another French Pussy Willow from snipped branches. You should know that most willows are super easy to root either in soil or in water. I just have to be diligent about maintaining the size of these new shrubs very small by brutal clipping if need be.

2 comments:

  1. These bring back memories of going to my Aunt Charlotte's every summer for 3 weeks. She always had pussy willows. Lovely blog and photos. FOund you thru the a-z challenge.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pussy willows too but unfortunately so do the deer. Every attempt has been eaten to the ground!

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?