Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Z is for Zany Zinnia

Lovely Zinnias! A joy to have in the garden, Zinnias provide much needed color when many other plants have petered out. It isn't until a frost zaps them that they stop their wonderful show-stopping color fest. And they do come in all sorts of vibrant colors...hummingbird and butterfly attracting colors!



Yes, Zinnias are beloved by butterflies, bumble bees and hummingbirds who love to nibble on the occassional tiny spider which passes by on silky strings to hide within the many petals.


Of course, Zinnias come in all varieties; single, semi-double and fully double, tiny one foot tall Liliput plants to towering four foot high monster Statefair Zinnias. Okay, maybe not monsters but big all the same. Some even have tiny flowers within flowers. See the five-point star shaped stamen above? Look like tiny flowers nesting within the bigger blossom, doesn't it? Just darling!


As annuals go, Zinnias are about as frugal a plant as you can get! The seeds are practically free at the store. Really, by the end of the growing season I've bought them for ten cents a pack and sometimes less! And then you can always collect seeds from the best flowers at the end of the growing season and save them for the following year. Can't get more frugal than that!

You can always find them at nurseries and garden centers growing in flats and while not as cheap as the seeds they still are quite affordable. If you like color that won't stop and a constant show all summer, the Zany Zinnia is for you. Try them, won't you?

4 comments:

  1. As I was searching flower bed landscaping I tripped across your blog. I had some striking zinnias last year. And I loved your info on Yarrow as I grow that too! I just became a follower.
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Cher! Hope to see you often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I'm so glad I found your blog! I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?