Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Introducing Star Magnolia

It has come to my attention that quite a few people don't know Magnolias...none of them. I suppose that shouldn't shock nor bother me, but oddly enough it does.

Magnolias are one of the prettiest flowering trees and easy to grow, too, even in places where they are not truly known to thrive. Magnolias, after all, are more widely known down south. I live up north, so it shouldn't surprise me when people look blankly at me when I mention Star Magnolias especially when they burst into bloom. The Star Magnolia is  a very hardy variety of Magnolia and likes to bloom early in spring. This isn't really a good thing in my Mountain home what with our propensity to get wacky frosts which inevitably zap the blooms sometimes before they get a chance to open. 
If you're wondering why they call them Star magnolias, I couldn't tell you. They say it's because the flowers are star-shaped, but blimey...that doesn't truly look star-like to me! The petals are floppy and rounded. Yes, the naming of plants is an art unto itself.
Washington Saucer Magnolias are just as spectacular as the cherry trees when they are abloom
Magnolias in general are great to have even in Northern gardens. For one thing, the Saucer Magnolia makes a nice home for hummingbirds. Just the fragrance eminating from these lovely blooms should be enough for you to consider looking for a nice spot in your yard for it. But if that's not going to do it, then how about the size of the blossoms? They don't call the sweet bay Magnolia "Grande Flora" for nothing, you know. They're huge!

Well, that's my endorsement for magnolias of all kinds, love it or hate it. I choose to love them and I really think you will too once you give them a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whacha think?