Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Mckee Botanical gardens revisited

I gave you a photo tour of McKee Botanical gardens a couple of days ago, but I only mentioned the Dr. Seuss art exhibit they hosted for several months. The history of this garden is rather interesting and I thought I'd share it with you. If you go to their website you can see photos from back in their hay-day in the 40's when tourists flocked to this place.

The garden consisted of 80 acres in 1929 when it was first established. It was THE hot spot, both literally and figuratively, in Vero Beach, Florida.

Some fun facts:

The entrance to the garden is a large, tunnel-like covered walkway with loads of flowering and very fragrant vines growing on lattice-like material. It's the coolest place here, both temperature-wise and as a stunning feature of the park.

There are outbuildings made of bamboo grown right here at the garden. I love this roof on the gazebo!

 There used to be many exotic animals living in the gardens. Monkeys, chimps, bears and parrots roamed almost freely often interacting with visitors. Ah, the days of no frivolous lawsuits!

There was even a Seminole Indian family living within the gardens.

Yes, they have cultural events planned throughout the year. ;-)

You can get lost --or maybe that's just me--- strolling along the intricate mazes. Streams and ponds inter-planted with native and exotic tropical plants from all over the world make it fun to do so.
This place really is lovely and I never seem to want to leave once I get here. That's gotta tell ya something! If you're ever in Vero beach, look up McKee Botanical gardens. I really think you'll like it.

3 comments:

  1. I downloaded the McKee Childrens Guide and was fascinated on how extensive the garden is. (come on you know men never grow up)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded the McKee Childrens Guide and was fascinated on how extensive the garden is. (Come on you know us men never grow up.)

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?