Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Plants vs people

You may not realize it, but we're in a constant battle; the battle of plants vs people. I'll explain.




This is the French Pussy Willow I've spoken of here several times already...at least I think I have at least once. If you follow me on Facebook, you may have heard me talking about it there, too. (You do follow me on Facebook, don't you? Well, you should!)

Why would I talk about this tree at Glory's Garden or on Facebook? Well, when I bought it I was told it would be a shrub at best twelve feet tall. The label on the plant said so too! If you can't tell from the picture, it's more than double that and I don't even fertilize it!

The folks at the nursery who grew the darn thing and/or the garden center where I bought it obviously didn't know what they were talking about. But that's to be expected. That's not because I think people at nurseries or garden centers are idiots (although I must admit to finding a few there. I'll tell you about that some times, too.)

I have a theory about why some plants do things like growing bigger than they should or flowering pink when they were supposed to be yellow or turning a solid green when you bought it variegated (All those things have happened to me, by the way, and I'll tell you about each in turn, but not now). I'll tell you my theory if you'd like to hear it.

A baby French Pussy Willow
I think people make the mistake of thinking they are smarter than plants. When that happens and they do something very stupid like speaking in front of the "dumb" plants saying with supreme authority, "I know everything about that plant and yadi-yadi-yada..."

Plants hear this and say, "Oh, yeah? I'll show them!" and then they do! That's when a plant such as the poor little French Pussy Willow which "normally" only gets 12-15 feet high, will surprise everyone by going 30-35 feet tall instead. It just wants to show us, silly, arrogant humans who's boss.

So, give your plants the proper respect, will ya? Or you may end up with vines crawling inside your bedroom window and tickling you under the chin! No, that hasn't happened to me ....YET!

6 comments:

  1. It could be the plants surrounding the tree are providing natural nutrients that is needs. Or, it could be you gave the darn thing a hug when it was a baby and it has responded to the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I have called myself a tree-hugger, I have yet to really do that! LOL I think I just must have really good soil from years and years of mulching this hard clay soil with tons-- and I mean tons!-- of bark mulch. It really pays to mulch. Remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be people, but I am on the plants' side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glory, it's the green thumb that does it. Plants love gardeners with green thumbs and always grow bigger, higher, and produce more when they know they are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?