Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bines and Vines: There is a difference!

Wild and crazy vines and bines
So, there I was minding my own business...actually, is it your own business when you're doing research on the medicinal properties of certain plants? Hmm, I'll have to think about that for a while. Anyway, I was reading about hops which I had always thought was a vine and lo and behold, it's not! It is a bine. Well, Blimey! What in the world is a bine?

I'll tell you!


You may already know what a vine is and that there are several different types of vines according to the way they climb. Well, one of those types is in essences a bine. Vines use tendrils, root protrusions and thorns to do their climbing along with a bit of twining action. The Bine, on the other hand, uses stiff hairs growing all along its stems to help it climb while it twines itself in a clockwise direction on whatever they can...trees, shrubs, poles, fences, stationary people... really, just about anything they can grab hold of.

The best example of this is the hops vine, sorry I mean to say bine--yes, the one I was researching. If you've ever seen one of these hops bines up close and personal you'll understand the hairs of which I speak. They are tiny and look harmless enough, but they're almost-but-not-quite thorny. If you are unfortunate enough to have one of their stems whip you across the face, as happened once to me while riding the lawn tractor a bit too close to the hops vine--oops! I mean bine-- on a blustery day--you'll get a nasty welt on your skin and it don't tickle! They are not so bad that you can't handle them safely without gloves, but I don't recommend it. Once bitten twice shy, you know.

So, there you go. Now you know the difference between a vine and a bine. The things you learn in the garden. I'm telling ya!

7 comments:

  1. "The things you learn in the garden. I'm telling ya" No, it's the things I learn on this blog. "I'm telling ya" Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite a fascinating post. You took me back to botany class. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to spread the garden knowledge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you know of a remedy once 'bitten' by a wild hops'hairy bine? I have a nasty burning with terrible itch reaction to the bines. tried acids, bases, water, soaps, Benedryl from drug store, to no relief. Help someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an allergic reaction.If you have jewel weed around, try that...just rub it onto the skin for almost immediate relief. I would treat it as you would a poison ivy rash, but if you've tried loads of things and nothing helps, you may have to go for a steroid shot at the doctor. Sometimes that is the only way I get relief when the rash gets bad enough. Not good! I wish you well.

      Delete
  6. do you know of a remedy once 'bitten' by a wild hops'hairy bine? I have a nasty burning with terrible itch reaction to the bines. tried acids, bases, water, soaps, Benedryl from drug store, to no relief. Help someone!

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?