Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Sunflowers for Alexandra

So, my friend Alexandra Heep, a fellow Heliumite and blogger at A Heep's Tale Heep of NASCAR and Heep of Treasures, asked me to grow some sunflowers for her. The poor dear has no garden at present, so I set out to please her by planting some.

Well, I don't quite know what happened, but the ones I planted never emerged. Well, I was miffed to say the least.


I did, however, manage to find some sunflowers along the way to our vacation spot.

 I snapped a few photos. This obliging field went on for a long way down a curvy back road. It was a lovely drive.

Then we stopped at a botanical garden we frequent and found these. They are not your typical sunflower, but they are Tithonia, botanically speaking, the Mexican Sunflower.

It usually grows hundreds of flowers on just one plant. I had this once in my garden in the yellow bed. I thought they were perennial, and perhaps they are in some areas, but they weren't here in the Poconos. I wish now I had saved seeds. Perhaps one day I'll get seeds for it again. The bees and hummingbirds loved it!

Since I couldn't grow any myself, I snapped a picture of my neighbor's sunflowers. Unfortunately they weren't quite in bloom yet. Silly me! I'll have to go back and take a proper picture.

Then lo and behold, a slight miracle happened. I spotted a sunflower growing in my yard. It wasn't exactly in any designated garden, just in the walkway, so I can't exactly take credit for it. I'm quite certain a little birdie did the deed. They love to fly to the feeder, grab a few seeds and then sit on the archway over the walkway which Tom made for my clematis vines. Of course, the birds also tend to drop a seed or two and they do occasionally take root. This one sure did!


I didn't have much hope that the boys or Tom wouldn't yank it out thinking it was a weed or just trample on it, again because it wasn't officially in a flower bed.

So, wasn't I surprised when it bloomed!

Rather pretty too. It's not a very tall variety, only about 3-4 feet high. Well, it wouldn't be a giant as it was not from a hybrid seed. It's the black oil sunflower seeds I place in the bird feeders not the Russian Giants or Mammoths most people plant in the gardens.

Calisto didn't seem to care and neither do I. Alexandra was so inspired by my sunflower she made a sort of sunflower patch for her kitty cat Gracie.  All in all it seemed to turn out all right, this sunflower trend. Now I can't spot a sunflower without thinking of Alexandra!

1 comment:

Whacha think?