Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Aprium and pluots


I said I would explain precisely what an aprium is, but I thought Id tell you about pluots, too. You may have already guessed that they are a cross between two fruits. This is true. They are crosses between apricots and plums, but the trick is knowing how they were crossed.

Through genetic magic, hybridizers of the fruit tree industry created these two odd-ball varieties, among others. These are just the only two we currently have growing in our orchard. 
Tommy picking Apriums

Aprium is 75% apricot-25% plum. Pluot is the exact opposite, 75% plum and 25% apricot.I'd like to tell you what the difference between the two fruit but as we've only had the apriums, that's just not to be. Sorry! 

I do know and can say I'm highly impressed by the apriums. I never much liked apricots and have always loved plums but I must say I like the apriums even better than your run-of-the-mill plum. They are so incredibly sweet... tiny, yes, but sweet as can be.

3 comments:

  1. Impressive. Now these are a first for me. I've never heard of an aprium and a pluot.

    Imagine the things we learn each time! Thanks for sharing. Nice pics. At least this way we get to see what an aprium is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never stop learning from you Glory.
    I will look for them in my market.
    How do you take your perfect PICS ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect pictures? Hardly!It is a difficult thing to hold the camera steady in one hand while using the other hand to hold something and then actually push the button to take the shot. I need an extra hand more times than I can count! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?