Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

The many kinds of garden gloves

I want to show you my collection of garden gloves. What? You didn't actually think I only had one pair, did you??? Nor only one KIND of glove? Heavens no! The proper garden glove for the task at hand...so to speak.

These rubberized gloves are a recent acquisition. We were coming home from Wooly Acres...oh, yes, remind me to tell you about that. Fun times! But anyway, Tom stopped by a few stores one of which was the Harbor Freight place, his favorite for tools and such. With all the tools he already has you'd think he couldn't possibly find more to buy and yet he always does...but I digress. Sorry.


Last year, Tommy bought me a pair just like these and I liked them so much, that when I saw them again this time, I snatched up a pair...and then I grabbed another. Well, they are that good! I used the old pair to death. I'd show you a picture, but...well they really are dead.


As you can see, the palms are rubber coated. The rest is just a knit fabric, soft and comfy, but the rubber side is water proof which makes them perfect for weeding in the morning. Why the morning? Well, around here during early spring, the dew doesn't dry off the plants until well past noon. I used to go through 3-4 pairs of the simple cloth gloves when I was weeding. They would soak right through within a few minutes. It was hardy better than going bare-handed.

I had devised a plan to wear rubber glove under the cloth ones, but that was too much trouble. I still do it sometimes when doing trimming of hedges or handling heavy buckets of rocks or weeds. I also like these for pushing the lawn mower and dumping the grass out onto the compost pile.
Now, this is my heavy duty pair for handling branches and logs, moving around rocks and digging in the dirt or getting my compost sifted. They are great for dealing with thorny shrubs, but don't get too complacent! Thorns have been known to sneak through even that tough leather. Yikes! It ain't a good thing when that happens. Ask Diane Quinn, the cactus wrestler... she'll tell you!



They come in all sorts of colors, but I've found they really only make them for male hands. I can never find them in my size. I have a solution for that which works for me. I often use them during cooler weather so I just layer gloves one on top of the other. A nice warm knit pair under the work gloves keeps my hands warmer and extra protected. Even better for the thorny projects.
These are mid-duty gloves. They fit better and are not as stiff as the leather gloves, but they wear out quickly, at least the way I use them. Good thing they come in ten-packs! They don't do well with thorny shrubs though. They have tiny rubber dots all over them which is good for gripping. I use these for what I call un-delicate weeding. That is when I go into a bed and need to yank everything out, where nothing is too delicate nor worth keeping.

I like a better fitting glove for delicate weeding--weeding around plants I wish to keep even if they aren't what most people call delicate. It's the weeding that I call delicate not the plants which are weeded around...hope I'm not confusing you.

So, that's my collection of garden gloves. No, you don't absolutely need to use gloves all the time in the garden, but I feel better using them. I'm too wary of encountering poison ivy in my yard, not to use them!

5 comments:

  1. So cool. Now I see the many kinds of gardening gloves opposed to the one you posted a couple of months ago, soiled during weeding.

    You have your bases covered with your gloves, don't you.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2-3 pairs of work gloves and every time I get a splinter I swear I'm going to start wearing next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the day, I never was good at using gloves. I'd try to remember, but I would find excuses not to. It is easier when working close to plants not to have them on, and hubby takes care of heavy stuff and any poison ivy I see in time. (If I suddenly find myself in the midst of poison ivy, I race inside and scrub with soap & water, change clothes etc, and sit down for a glass of lemonade until the heart stops racing at my close call.) I never saw anything like the knit/rubber palm ones. They look wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s good you have different pairs of gloves for different projects! Having the right pair of gloves for different kinds of gardening work is very important to prevent your hands from getting splinters. With gloves, your gardening work will be much easier and more comfortable, especially when you’re working with sharp tools.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?