Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Trumpet or Hummingbird vines

Take your pick. Trumpet or Hummingbird vine. You can call them either one and you'll be talking about the same plant, Campsis radicans.


It's a beauty of a vine and the hummingbirds really do love it, but they aren't the only ones.

I cannot walk by the trumpet vine without experiencing a buzzing in my ear...at least at first I thought it was only in my ear. Then I looked at the flowers. COVERED with buzzing insects of all description.

Bees, wasps, flies, butterflies, moths and ants...yes, ants! They seem to like the taste of the oozing stuff from the unopened buds. Pretty much like they do on peony buds. Harms them not at all.

This is why I didn't like the vine hitting my hat off every time I walked under it and I took clippers to it. I don't much like the idea of ants in my hair. I'm just funny that way!

 I'm totally okay with the flying insect though. They never bother me...except for that constant buzzing in my ears!

They come in yellow and  orange varieties. I bought one of each back a while ago and now I have several others. They tend to propagate all by themselves. I gave a few to Julie over at Wooly Acres and I have a few growing where they ought not to be. I think I'll be looking for homes for those soon enough. If I wait too long it'll be impossible to remove them.

Tom went by this one the other day and said to me, "You're trumpet vine is dropping flowers all over the place."  So what? This is news? They do that.

I planted this "baby" a few years back and only this year has it come into its own. It's gone bonkers in the growth department. It may not have been such a clever idea to put it so close to the kitchen door.

Calisto is vigilantly keeping it back. It may decide, after all, to sneak into the house. Don't you think I'm kidding. They've been known to actually do just that!

The Trumpet/hummingbird vine is lovely indeed, but it can be an aggressive grower and hard to keep contained. Put it where it doesn't matter what it does, or keep the clippers handy. Where are my clippers anyway???

3 comments:

  1. Hi my loved one! I wish to say that this post is awesome,
    great written and come with approximately all vital infos.
    I'd like to peer extra posts like this .

    my blog post - registry cleaner review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can hummingbird vine handle shade or will it require full sun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels awe-inspiring to read such informative and distinctive articles on your websites.hummingbird vine

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?