Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Woe be the too-short fruit picker!

Too short to pick fruit! That is what I am. Go figure! Tom and I specifically bought semi-dwarf trees and still...grumble-grumble! So, I had to get Tommy to stop his work for a bit to help me. He's such a sweet hunny-bunny! He didn't even complain. Then again, why would he? Picking your own homegrown fruit is far more enjoyable than playing with a particularly persnickety Helium Mas-spectrometer.



This is what I was able to get on my own, half of a large bowl. I was reaching up on tiptoe, but there were still tons more on the two fruit laden trees.

There's my Tommy squinting at the sun and trying to reach the fruit, too. The branches were bendy so it made it easier, but even he couldn't reach them all.

"You want them all down?" he asked. "That's a lot of fruit to have all at once."

"Would you rather the deer get them like they did the plums?" I asked.

Yes, the deer got all the plums! I left them one day too long it seems. They didn't seem ready to pick to me and then it rained a few days so I didn't get to go outside and pick them. I forgot that rain doesn't stop deer from eating fruit when it's at its best. Ah, well, live and learn.


We found that some of the Apriums rotted right on the tree. We thought that was a bit odd, but some must ripen quicker than others.
Chase and Calisto decided to accompany us to the orchard sort of like supervisors.

Two big bowls we got from our trees with still another bowl's worth still there. I'll need to get a ladder to get them. They are some of the sweetest little gems I've ever tasted. I peel them and pop them. Yum-yum!

They look like farm fresh egg yolks, don't they?

What is an aprium? I'll explain next time.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a gardener, but I know what an aprium is just by looking at the word. Don't worry, I won't let the cat out of the bag!

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?