Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, September 12, 2011

Happy Birthday to my Mami

Today happens to be my Mami's birthday, so I thought I'd tell you the wonders of my mother.
I was not a happy baby when they took this picture, but Mami made it all better


My mother is the second eldest in a family of twelve siblings and of various other kids who drifted onto the farm to become unofficially adopted members of the family. She grew up on a farm with no running water, no electricity and nothing more modern than a battery powered radio and that wasn't until she was mostly grown up.
My mom's family, most of them anyway

Like other farm girls, she helped her mother take care of the younger kids, gather eggs, milk cows, feed chickens and then eventually kill them for dinner, too. She picked coffee beans, roasted, ground them up and made the coffee on a wood burning stove. Life was not what we would call easy, but it was a great example of self sustained living. They grew most of their own food and what they didn't grow themselves, they bartered with the extra milk they had.

Mom and Pop

My mom was already married and with a child, me, when her youngest brother was born. Pretty wild. He and I are a little over a month apart in age.

Mom, me and Alexis...Alexis is in the big belly I'm sporting

My mother taught me all I needed to know about being a good wife and mother and I thank God every day that she was my role model and example. Anyone else simply would not do! She also instilled a love of the floral kingdom in me. I have to say she's rather surprised at the extent I've taken it. I mean to say, a blog on the internet about gardening? People from all over the country coming to me to ask about this plant and that one? She never saw that coming, but then, I'm not at all certain she knows what a blog is and how all these people know me to begin with. Facebook goes right over her head!

If you haven't figured it out, I think my mom's a wonderful person and I love her very much.

Happy Birthday, Mami!

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Mami. It seems your raised your daughter Glory right.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?