Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Maple sapling population explosion

When I was at Wooly Acres several weeks back, Julie told me she was in desperate want of a Sugar Maple tree. I told her I only had about a few dozen which pop up here and there all year long in places I don't want them. Seriously, what's up with that? Why can't they ever show up where I do want them??? I digress. Forgive me.

Just one of many maples
Julie was not convinced. No, not that I didn't have a maple sapling population explosion. She wasn't convinced they were really truly Sugar Maples.

"Look at the leaf," She told me. "Really look carefully."

Okay, what am I looking for?According to Google images it's supposed to look like this. I'm a bit wary of saying for sure and certain that this actually is a sugar maple leaf because Google has been known to get some plants wrong.

So, what do I have I wonder? Possibly Swamp maple or likely Norway maple and I also have a Harlequin maple with variegated foliage, an Amur maple which never seems to grow much and a Silver maple. I'm positive, however, the huge maple by the pond is a sugar maple. Alas, that isn't the one shedding seeds to float down in a twirly whirl unto fertile soil and creating all these maple saplings.

I may have to grab a few seeds and plant them myself. Then Julie will have her Sugar maple!

2 comments:

  1. The sapling show in the first few pictures is in fact a Sycamore maple. Sugar maples are commonly confused with Norway maples, the only way to tell them apart is by snapping off one of the leaves and if the sap is clear it is a Sugar maple, however if it is white this is a Norway maple. You can also tell them apart by the buds, those on the Sugar maple are pointed while those on the Norway maple are blunt. You want to be looking for something like the leaf you have shown at the bottom there with the pointed lobes, those of the Sycamore maple are too curvy.
    I hope this has helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

      Delete

Whacha think?