Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, October 24, 2011

Giving the oak its due

I think it about time I gave the oak its due. All this talk about Maple trees must be giving all other trees a complex or something.

The poor little neglected oak! So, what if it is now officially the national tree. It gets no recognition whatsoever during this time of year. It's all the maple with its flashy colors and the controversy--Ooh what a controversy! I, for one, want to change this.



Just look at the lovely leaves on Tommy's Pin oak. Yes, Julie--you know she's the one that started the entire maple tree controversy, right?--- it really, truly and definitely is a Pin oak. Not a red oak nor a white oak but a Pin oak.



See the pointy top? Dead give away. Doesn't it look lovely against that true-blue sky? I just love that!


Oh, but the leaves are special, don't you think? Such a unique, distinctive shape. Want to know a really odd thing about oaks? They rarely relinquish their foliage. It's true! The leaves, for the most part, stay on the tree all through winter. Not even our particularly nasty, blustering winter winds can dislodge them. It's a sight to behold, I'll tell you!

This is the only oak we have, and a sickly specimen it was when we first got it. For the longest time I called it Tom's Charlie Brown tree---really it was that pathetic! It must have been growing kind of sideways at the nursery so that all its branches were only on on side of the tree and it was leaning something odd indeed!


Well, Tommy straightened it out with a few well placed stakes and determination...a few season's growth didn't hurt, too. And now look at it! It's lovely indeed! A pretty pin oak in all its autumn Glory. Yes, I quite approve.

7 comments:

  1. We have 5 Cherry Bark Oaks surrounding our property and they are huge and very old. While they don't let go of their leaves as Glory stated, when they do they are a mess. Oak leaves do not deteriorate like most leaves.

    In fact if you leave a pile or cluster of them on the grown you can still find a year later. The work well in compost if they are shredded first since they do leave a base for the mulch to work and when used to mulch around plants to retain moisture they do well since they don't break down very fast.

    Their leaves are not to be used for fodder for animals since their leaves are acetic and can cause a lot of harm. (That was in my chicken book)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly correct, Dan. They make a great, long-lasting mulch under evergreens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew? Of course y'all did. I could tell an oak leaf apart from others of course. But, I do remember collecting oak leaves in the forests as a kid, so the trees there did let get go every year, at least partially. I remember the distinct shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, those may have been from the previous year just like Dan said. They take forever to decompose and only shed them when the new ones take their place. It makes for a nice sound in winter when the wind rustles them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Until you mentioned it, I did not know I missed the sound of rustling leaves underfoot. Blimey, I miss nature. I can't believe people find happiness living all enclosed by cement, asphalt, and concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I never did. Just passing through a big ugly city depresses me. You can't imagine what I go through when I actually go to one. UGH!

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?