Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Can't see the trees for the forest


I suppose you've heard the old saying, "Can't see the forest for the trees" Well, I must admit, I never quite understood how you could do that. I mean to say, a forest is the trees, so how the heck can you possibly miss it? Made no sense to me at all...that is until I looked into the woods recently.


By the way, what is the difference between a wood, a forest and a copse of trees? Hmm, that we shall leave for another post...I do tend to digress, don't I. My apologies.


So, there I was traveling down the road when I chanced to see into the woods. With most of the leaves already down from the low brush which one usually sees in the forest, it was indeed much easier to see the trees which still had their leaves. So, in essence, I hadn't been able to see the trees for the forest. Go figure!



I saw quite clearly into the woods and what I saw were beech trees yellow and green among the reds and burgundies of the forest. They were the last trees with foliage. They are very much like the oak in that they keep their leaves almost until the new foliage emerges in spring. Bizarre trees, indeed, but lovely to actually be able to see them. They are mostly hidden away deep within the woods, you know.

So, now I know. You really can, at times, fail to see the trees for the forest....or is that the forest for the trees? You decide.

1 comment:

  1. Glory, as you have discovered, with your eyes open, you can see both the trees and the forest at the same time. It's something wonderful like having your cake and eating it too! It's also the best time to design your own forest, and coincidentally, it's also the best time to design bonsai --when the leaves are off and you can see the structure you have developed, complete with errors... ":)

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?