Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

E-wrap cast on for knitting loom

Welcome to Crafting Tuesday, a regular feature at Glory’s Garden. If you come to Glory's Garden expecting garden stuff, you'll know Tuesdays are the days to stay away. They will only disappoint you, after all. Crafting is a big part of my life, though, and this blog just wouldn't be the same without some mention of it. Alas, as much as I would like to be in the garden all the time, all year long, my short growing season and perpetual cloud bursts--yes, it tends to rain too much around here at times-- I must do something inside and that is where sewing, crocheting and knitting, both loom and regular type, come to save my sanity.

Today I want to show you the super easy E-wrap cast-on for using the knitting loom. As you may know, I love the knitting loom and use it often even though I can and do use regular straight knitting needles. I've found so many new and interesting ways of using it that it's become such fun and I wanted to share that with you.

I've created my first ever video to show exactly how you do the E-wrap cast-on, but I'll give you the verbal directions to make it clearer still and to give any pointers.

E-Wrap cast-on for knitting loom:

1. Make a slip knot. This is done by picturing a no-smoking sign--a circle with the slash across it-- only you put the slash behind the circle and then you pull the yarn through the circle. Instant slip knot.


2. Place the slip knot over the anchor peg you find on the side of the loom. Tighten it only slightly. You will need to remove it once you start knitting so keep it loose. Anchoring the slip knot is just to make it easy for you to proceed with the casting on. I rarely use this. I prefer to wrap the yarn loosely around the anchor peg and with my left hand hold a 5-6 inch tale of the working yarn inside the loom while I cast on. You do whichever feels comfortable for you.

3. Once you have the yarn anchored, take the working yarn to the back of the loom toward the inside. Make sure the yarn goes to the left of the first peg. The first peg is the one to the right of the anchor peg.





4. In a clockwise direction wrap the yarn around the first peg.

5. Continue in clockwise direction wrapping the yarn around each peg for the desired amount of pegs or the entire loom.


6. E-wrap cast-on completed.


Here's the video if you want to see it in action.


video

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whacha think?