Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Flower crochet block pattern

Welcome to Crafting Tuesday, a regular feature at Glory’s Garden. If you come to Glory's Garden expecting garden stuff, you'll know Tuesdays are the days to stay away. They will only disappoint you, after all. Crafting is a big part of my life, though, and this blog just wouldn't be the same without some mention of it. Alas, as much as I would like to be in the garden all the time, all year long, my short growing season and perpetual cloud bursts--yes, it tends to rain too much around here at times-- I must do something inside and that is where sewing, crocheting and knitting, both loom and regular type, come to save my sanity.

I promised the pattern for this crocheted flower block. I found sassy sunflower crochet afghan at allfreecrochet.com where you can get all sorts for fun ideas for crochet projects.

You'll need three colors--the first is for the flower's center, the second is for the petals and the third is for the border around the flower--, your choice of any type of yarn. I used a crochet hook size G, but the pattern called for using 8/H.The yarn I used was worsted weight Redheart brand, but I think you can use any kind. The finished product would just be bigger or smaller depending on the weight yarn used.


Instructions:


Center disk:
1.       With the color you choose for the flower’s center, chain 4.
2.       In the 4th chain from hook make 15 double crochets, join with a slip stitch to the top of beginning chain 3. (16 dc)
3.       Chain 3 *2 double crochet in next stitch, 1 in the next, repeat from* all the way around until you reach the end then do 2 double crochet in last stitch, slip stitch to top of chain 3. (24 dc)
4.       Chain 1, single crochet in same stitch as joining, single crochet in next stitch, *2 single crochet in next stitch, then one single crochet each in next 2 stitches, repeat from* around, end with 2 sc in last stitch, slip stitch (drop the old yarn and pickup the yarn for the petals) to beginning single crochet, clip off center yarn leaving 4-5 inch tale to be woven in later. (32 sc)
Petals:
5.       Chain 2, * 2 half double crochet in next stitch, 1 half double in next, repeat from * around, slip stitch to top of beginning stitch. (48 hdc)
6.       Chain 4, make a beginning cluster: Holding back last loop of each stitch on hook, triple crochet in each of next three stitches, yarn over and draw through all 4 loops on hook.
7.       *Chain 5, make cluster:  Triple crochet in each of next 4 stitches, holding back the last stitch of each one, repeat from* around, chain 5 and slip stitch (picking up third color for border). Clip off petal yarn leaving 3-4 inch tale to be woven in later. (12 cluster petals)
Border:
8.       Slip stitch to first chain-5 space, chain 1, 6 single crochet in each chain-5 space around, slip stitch to beginning single crochet. (72 sc)
9.       Chain 4, (Work one stitch in each stitch all the way around) 1 double crochet, 1 half double crochet,* 12 single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, triple crochet, chain 4 **, triple crochet, double crochet, half double crochet,  repeat from * end at **, slip stitch to top of beginning chain 4. Fasten off.

~I hope you try this, but I must warn you, it isn't one to start with if you are a beginner crocheter. I'll post directions for something easier in future.~


3 comments:

  1. So cooooooooooool. I'm adding this to my next blog post. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was lost by "slip stitch." I learned how to crochet, but that was 35 years ago and I do not know the English terms. I still come for the pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Alex! I must do a refresher course with all the basic stitches.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?