Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Guest post by Kay Whittenhauer

It's Crafting Tuesday, a regular feature at Glory’s Garden. If you come to Glory's Garden expecting garden stuff, you'll know Tuesdays are the days to stay away. They will only disappoint you, after all. Crafting is a big part of my life, though, and Glory's Garden just wouldn't be complete without some mention of it. Alas, as much as I would like to be in the garden all the time, all year long, my short growing season and perpetual cloud bursts--yes, it tends to rain too much around here at times-- I must do something inside and that is where sewing, crocheting and knitting come to save my sanity.
 Today we have a special guest, Kay Whittenhauer who will show us how to make these lovely twinkling star ornaments.





I've been looking for a crochet project, and with the Christmas season approaching I got the idea to crochet Christmas ornaments. My "grand" idea is to buy a table-top Christmas tree and decorate it with only crocheted ornaments. So far, I searched the web and found a lot of patterns, and was even inspired to make up a pattern of my own!

I found this pattern for a star ornament on Caron's website. It's really easy to follow- I did just fine on my first try. :):) It takes less than a half hour to make each star, and barely uses any yarn. I'm thinking of making extras to use as decorations on gift packages or maybe even giving a set of six as a gift.

The pattern shows the star in red and green, but I thought I'd prefer it in silver and gold. (After I started I thought blue and silver and red and gold would look good, too.) I chose Vanna's Glamour yarn because it's really soft to work with and already has metallic sparkles in it. (So I didn't use the thread in addition to the yarn.) The pattern says the ornament is about four inches, but I wanted the ornaments to be a little smaller. I used an F hook and they turned out to be three inches across.

Thanks so much, Kay. You are most talented. You've inspired us to make a very pretty collection of ornaments for decorating trees, wreaths and gift packages. We can use scrap bits of yarn, too, to make these stars in all sorts of colors. They also happen to be pet friendly...no broken glass all over the floor! 

Here are links to some of Kay's original crochet patterns:

Easy Crochet Dog Toy

Hooded scarf

Unisex scarf

The best Christmas gift ideas for crochet lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whacha think?