Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My first T-shirt dress

Welcome to Crafting Tuesday, a regular feature at Glory’s Garden. If you come to Glory's Garden expecting garden stuff, you'll know Tuesdays are the days to stay away. They will only disappoint you. Crafting is a big part of my life, though, and Glory's Garden just wouldn't be complete without some mention of it. Alas, as much as I would like to be in the garden all the time, all year long, my short growing season and perpetual cloud bursts--yes, it tends to rain too much around here at times-- I must do something inside and that is where sewing, crocheting and knitting come to save my sanity.



See the dress I'm wearing in this photo? I made it. Surprised? You shouldn't be. It was super easy to do and cost me nary a dime...okay, a bit more than that.It cost me a dollar. I'm lying if I'm dying...wait, switch that, reverse it.


I used a t-shirt I found at a dollar store. Yes, it was a whole dollar. The fabric was in my stash...don't even know where it came from, but I know I didn't pay for it. Someone gave it to me. It was either my good friend Evey or Brandon's second grandmother

Sidebar: Brandon's best friend, Anthony, has a huge family who pretty much took Brandon as their own. They're a lovely, close-knit family and Rene, Tony's grandmother, gave me loads of her fabric when she was simplifying her extensive stash.




I love the dress. It's so carefree, both for wearing and for caring for it. Wash and wear, baby! That's the ticket! No, it's not at all high fashion, but I have long since learned to wear what I like and not what some celebrity, fashion model or designer tells me I should wear. Ah, well, that's just me!

Want to know how I made it?

1. The t-shirt was a child's size so the neckline was a bit too tight for me. So the first thing I did was cut it out. I just made a u-cut, both back and front, and there was my scoop neck. 

2. The next thing I did was figure where I wanted the waist line to be. I measured where I wanted it and added an inch for the seam allowance.I then trimmed a few inches off the shirt.

3. The skirt was twice as wide as the bottom hem of the shirt because I wanted a full, flirty skirt. I measured how long I wanted the skirt, just about knee length, and trimmed the fabric to that length plus  an inch for the seam allowance.


4.I sewed the back seam of the skirt leaving a few inches at the top for gathering.

5. I then folded the hem at the bottom of the skirt about a half inch twice and then sewed it. Easy hem.

6. I sewed two lines of basting stitches at the top of the skirt for gathering. To gather the skirt, I gently pulled the bobbin threads until the skirt was the size of the bottom of the shirt.


7. Once they matched, I finished sewing the back seam to the top of the skirt. I then pinned the shirt to the skirt and then sewed them together.

8. The only thing that gave me trouble, was the trim I added to the neckline. I had never done it before so I was a bit unsure. Took me a few tries to get just right, but that's the only way you learn, by doing!

And there's my first t-shirt dress. Since I bought a t-shirt in every color they had--I think it was eight of them in total-- I plan on making a whole fleet of t-shirt dresses, all for about a dollar. You have no idea how much fabric I have stashed away, most of it given to me for free, just because I was willing to take it! So, you see, all of my t-shirt dressed will cost me but a buck. Told ya I was frugal!

2 comments:

  1. That is so cute, Glory! Looks like an easy Christmas gift to make too. Really neat idea! Thanks for sharing it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see an industrious grandmother making loads of them for her granddaughters. They make lovely Mommy and me dresses too.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?