Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Dusty houseplants make for unhappy plants

Winter time is hard enough on houseplants. Don't make it tougher on them by letting dust collect on their leaves. A dusty plant is just not as happy as a clean one.
My dusty Clivia looks sad

I took stock of my own plants one day while vacuuming. Gees-Louise, but they were dusty! And not just dusty...there was cat hair and in some cases spider webs all over the poor dears. Well, I knew I had been neglecting them horribly.


Whoa! Spider webs? Eek!

So, I took a useful container from my stash in the kitchen--see? I told you they were useful!--and I filled it with warm water and a tiny drop of dish soap. I took a soft rag--I think it might have been a sock in  a former life-- and I carefully wiped at each leaf one at a time. This also helps prevent any insect infestations before they start. Must work because I hardly ever get any!
I can't see the leaves for the dust!

It's not exactly a glamorous job nor is it quick and easy, but it does help the foliage stay useful to the plant--photosynthesis and all that, you know, works best when the sun can actually penetrate the dust to get into the plant!

This is a good time to check plants for dried or dying leaves, any problems and possibly to re-pot if need be. I actually like to dawdle and clean each and every leaf, slowly and carefully. It brings me to my happy place, I guess. Lacking the garden, that's important for me.

Of course, there is an easy way to clean your houseplants and I often resort to it. Just stick them in the shower. The gentle spray for a few minutes will refresh, clean and hydrate them like nothing else. Like a warm spring shower in mid-winter.... How lovely!

If you wish to make your houseplant happy, I suggest you clean those dusty leaves. You'll be happy you did.


2 comments:

  1. This is always a good thing to do according to my resident green thumb girl. The plants are much healthier! ":)

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?