Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year! 2012

           Happy New Year, 2012!

I must say, I never thought I would live this long. Don't quite know why, but the thought of living into the 21st century seemed too bizarre when I was younger. I never said I ever made sense...or maybe I did...don't recall.

What? Me live that long? Not gonna happen!

Well, we all made it to 2012 and I'm quite certain you are as delighted about it as I am.  I'm also sure some, if not all of you, have made those silly New Year's resolutions. I, on the other hand, made a final resolution about a decade and a half ago never to make another resolution, and gosh-darn-it, I've held fast to it!

Why no resolutions? It just seems rather silly to make promises you have no intention of keeping. If indeed you did have the best intentions to resolve never to do this or always to do that, I figure you wouldn't need to wait until January of the following year to enact them!
Not gonna do it...can't make me... So there!


Okay, okay, so you insist on making a few resolutions and I shant stop you, but I beg of you, be sensible about what you choose as your steadfast resolutions, lest you beat yourself unmercifully once you fail or fall off the resolution wagon or whatever it is.

So, what are the most popular New Year's Resolutions which almost all make and few succeed in keeping? I had my ideas, but I thought I'd consult the web, so I Googled it. This is what I found. I'll comment on each as I see fit.

New Year's Resolutions:

 #1- Spend more time with family and friends.
Family time don't cost a thing
Really? You have to resolve to do this? Alas, in this day and age it seems so. Pity...this used to be a given.

#2- Fit in time for fitness.
You don't have to climb Devils Tower to get in some exercise, but it does help!

Blimey, not this again! Of course, we should all exercise more and we all know it. We are such a sedentary society now, it's become ridiculous. Remember those old stories told by your great-grandfather, uncle or your mother of how they had to walk several miles each day just to get to school? Well, they're true and they were lucky for it! Lucky? Yes, lucky to have their daily dose of exercise built into their daily lives.

#3- Lose Weight.
Yum! Everything in moderation

Ah, yes, the endless battle of the bulge which always starts with strict diets depriving you of all that make life worth living. Precisely why this is the first resolution to go. Just eat less folks. No need to kill yourself.

#4- Quit smoking.
A healthier Papi
 I recall my father trying to stop himself from the hideous, health-sucking habit each and every single year for about ten years and he would make it 2, 3, sometimes 4 whole months and then...crash! Back he went to smoking. It wasn't until I was 16 and half years old that I realized he had really quit for good. He quit the year before, but I though for sure he would relapse and go back. I was a bit slow to catch on that this time it took. So, it can be done, but only if you truly want to.

#5- Enjoy life more.
Just have fun!
 By Jov, why didn't I think of that? Such a shame that more people don't just do this, but too many of them put their main concerns--keeping up with the Jones' being upper most for some-- before this simple thing. Enjoy life while you have it!

#6- Quit drinking.
Silly Tommy!
 Well, for me to understand this I would have to have a liking for the stuff, which I never did and never will. Wait, I forgot those yummy pina colada drinks we have at the resort in the Dominican. They make them with Bailey's Irish cream and no rum, so there is nary a taste of alcohol. Just my speed, and Justin's, too! Of course we only get those once a year, so it's quite a treat. More folks should do that if they can't control themselves.

#7- Get out of debt.
Cherish the simple things in life
 Easier said than done, to be sure, but it is not impossible to live within your means.  Just live simply. No, you might not be able to have a 62 inch flat screen TV nor the decked out SUV of your dreams nor the mini mansion, but you would have more time for your family, friends and hobbies and getting fit and so on and so forth if you stopped getting into debt seeking those things which won't make you happy anyway.

#8- Learn something new.
Fort de la Carolina in Florida? Who knew?
 Again, do you really need to do this only at the beginning of a new year? To live is to learn and that means daily. It doesn't have to be anything great or grand...just a tiny fact here and there, something simple, something new. It all counts and it keeps us from stagnation.

#9- Help others.
Special Olympics, a worthwhile organization where you can truly help people
 This is another Duh moment. If you don't try to help others, then what are you doing here?

#10- Get organized
babies are allowed to be messy, especially on Christmas morning
 This one is funny. If you have no head for organization, why in the world would you kill yourself to try to be something you are not? Yes, you can try, just don't beat yourself up about it. Life's too short. Sure, it's easy to be organized for those with Obsessive/compulsive disorders--Tommy is nothing if not the most organized person in existence, but normal folks don't need the aggravation, really they don't! You have my blessing to be a bit of a slob...within reason.

Do you have a resolution not stated above? Tell us! If you make it public, it may spur you on to keep it alive. In any case, Happy New Year and I do hope 2012 is a great one for you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whacha think?