Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

How to collect daisy seeds



Some time back I told you of my trip to Julie Helms' farm Wooly Acres--or what I like to call it, Dingleberry Farm-- and the topic of how to collect seeds came up. As Julie was not the first person to ask how this is done, I knew I had to plan a lesson of sorts so everybody can do their own collecting of seeds.



You may be asking why it is important to learn how to collect seeds. There are many reasons the best of which is when you collect your own seeds, you need never buy them. I did mention once or ten times that I'm rather frugal, haven't I? In the case of Heirloom seeds, once you buy one pack, plant them and they produce the fruit or flower, you can then collect the seeds and you'll never have to buy another seed of that type and you'll always have the seeds which produce that particular heirloom variety.

Hybrid seeds, however, don't work like that. I'll tell you about those some other time. For now, let's collect some flower seeds.
Daisy seeds just right for the picking

At Wooly Acres I spotted a nice patch of Daisies most of which were going to seed, but they weren't quite ready for picking. How I knew this is...well, you just kind of have to get a feeling for it. This is where practice and trail and error come into play. I saw that they still had a yellowish color and they were moist. Ripe seeds usually turn brown or black and are quite dry when they are fully ripe.


Daisy seeds are easy to tell if they are ripe just by touch. They should be dry and give way with a tiny bit of pressure. That is to say, the seed heads fall apart. You have to be careful with some seed heads at this point. They become a bit fragile and if you're not ready with a container or envelope in which to catch the seeds, you may lose them to the wind, the birds or other critters.

Seed heads ready to collapse

Of course, that's just the daisy which I just showed is easy to collect seeds from. Some flowers are not so easy to even spot where the seeds are hiding. We'll show you those next time.

7 comments:

  1. Investigate This Site

    Here is my web page ... seo for attorneys
    Look into my site : attorney leads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tips In Selecting Ideal Discussion Settings

    Also visit my web-site :: legal leads
    Stop by my web site - legal leads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, this weekend is nice in support of me, because
    this moment i am reading this enormous informative piece of
    writing here at my residence.

    Also visit my site ... become

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for finally writing about > "How to collect daisy seeds" < Loved it!

    My site: massimiliano pagani cv curriculum vitae videogames senior
    programmer C C++ gameboy xbox Pc

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but
    good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this information
    for my mission.

    Here is my web site ... phpbb3
    Also see my page > http://taci.ro

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of
    any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet
    my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog - 6937

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?