Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Friday, January 13, 2012

The push to keep bees

I'm thinking you recall my desire to save the Bees. I suppose you also recall how I thought Tommy would be the reason I wouldn't actually get to start the fascinating gift-to-the-world hobby of keeping bees. Well, my push to keep bees was rather subtle.

While making lunch:

"Tommy, did you know one bee hive can produce 40-50 pounds of honey in one year?" I said.

"Wow, that's amazing," he replied.


"That sure is more than I could use in one year," I countered. "Explains why my father has so much that he's constantly giving it away and they use tons of it. A beekeeper could make money. Raw honey is very sought after, you know, and natural wax, too."

"True," he said.

"They say it's about $300 to start. Well worth it, I think, for all the real raw honey you can eat or sell. Pays for itself in no time," I say.

"I'll bet," he agrees.

YAY!

Later while doing paperwork:

"I think down by the silo near the lilacs or maybe in the orchard. It would be close enough to the pond and they need water," I mumbled to myself while staring out the window.

"Who are you talking about?" he asked, his mind only half on what I'm saying, the other, on paperwork.

"I could rip out those annoying, mostly dead plants and put them there. Oh, that would be a great place for a few bee hives," I say. "It's a nice protected place. It's not too windy and in full sun, just like they want."

"Yeah, if you were really going to do it, that would be a good place, out of the way," he said, a bit absent-mind.

Elation! That was not a full out no. That was even almost a yes!


Later on in the afternoon, just after he asks me to go to the bank and post office for him before picking up Justin:

"Julie's also thinking of keeping bees and she asked me to go with her to this workshop PennApic is sponcering this spring. It's just 2 miles from her house. She's so excited about it," I say, casually.

"When is it?"he asks.

"March 24." 

He says nothing, which could go either way. He knows how far Julie's Wooly Acres is from home--a good three hour drive and that's with no traffic to slow you down. I think I should be able to get there by myself with good directions from Tom, but I choose not to tell him this. He still most annoyingly recalls when I was trying to meet him in Allentown and somehow ended up in New Jersey. Okay, so I'm not good at driving all over creation, but I would make an extra effort for this.

So, the seed is planted and all I have to do is see if anything grows. Bee keepers, here I come!


3 comments:

  1. Aha...the thin edge of the wedge, or...um...hive tool, that is....

    Sounds good! You can SELL raw honey for a very good price too, and when you have lots of flowers around, there will be lots of honey....":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey Bees have been on the decline here and abroad. You can tell your husband you are doing your little bit to help save the local ecology. Some bee keepers rent out their hives to farmers too. The bee keeper still keeps the honey and gets paid for the bees to do their work by the farmer.
    It's also a "self-reliance" issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, I first contacted PennApic to see if anyone would like to put a hive or two on my property. I figured that I could at least do that much, but they did encourage me to do it myself, so will shall see.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?