Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Slaves to Technolgy



If you've been here for any length of time, you'll know I don't have the normal thought processes of your average person. Needless to say, I see all things a bit oddly...at least I think I do.

I told you once my perception of the wildly popular movie Avatar. I'm rather certain no one else saw in it what I did. So, it would also be the case with the film Wall-e. I don't suppose many of you would even know of its existence unless you have little ones in your dwelling or within easy and frequent reach. It is a Disney type kid's movie, computer generated cartoon of sorts.



I didn't really think a story about a robot was going to captivate my attention, but oddly it did. I like Wall-e, the main character, who was a collector of the strangest castoffs from humans. He would find things which interested him and the rest was useless to him so he'd scoop it up and stack them away. My favorite part was when he found a fancy, very pretty little jewelry box with a stunning diamond ring in it. He tossed the ring and kept the box! That is so like me! Who needs a ring when you can have a cute little box for putting things in?  Things more useful than some dumb ring, anyway.

At first glance, you'd see the film was a statement on the trashing of our planet. Earth was destroyed because of all the trash, killing all plants. Believe me, that part made my green thumb quiver and my gardener's heart ache. But the film's message progressed from there upon the entrance of Ava, the little robot sent to earth to find evidence of new life in the form of a growing viable green plant. Yes, that kept it an environmental film until you see that lonely Wall-e, who spends his off hours watching romantic musicals, falls head over wheels in love with the indifferent Ava. You gotta know I'd be enthralled by the romance and so I was.

Poor Wall-e! He simply couldn't interest Ava and she went back to the ship which floated in outer space with the remains of humanity. And what a sorry sight humanity had become on that ship. Fat and lazy clods floating on mobile lounge chairs, pushing buttons to get fed, to change their clothes from last season's red to this season's blue and getting all their needs taken care of by robots without them having to lift much more than a finger. UGH! Sounds like we're almost there already, doesn't it? And Tom wonders why I'm eternally resistant to a cruise...couldn't be this is what I picture, could it?

This added an element of freedom and personal responsibility or the lack of it. These poor flops didn't even know or understand the danger behind having nothing to do but float around and watch TV screens all day and all night. They didn't even socialize with each other nor did they have freedom to do so. The one guy and woman who dared do something other than just sit there were practically shunned. (But as no one really talked to each other, what difference did it make?) The robots had all the control. What a life! Again, ugh!

In reality, the robots who were programed to take care of the humans, doing everything for them, for their own good, were the ones doing the harm. Anyone entity who takes freedom away would be.

Didn't anyone see this as a commentary to our current world-wide problems? Well, I certainly did. Freedom works. Self reliance works. I've seen it all my life. I know it because I live it. Having to depend on others, others who think they know what is best for you and only allow you what they deem good for you is not freedom. It's tyranny. Oh, they make it sound nice and compassionate but you'll end up being a slave to it.  That's what those fat dopes were, slaves to their own technology. Do you wish that for your children and grandchildren? I most certainly do not!

To me, and probably only me, Wall-e was a sad film with some poignant/funny moments. Nope, don't suppose anyone saw it as I did.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen it but now I think I do. I think you commentary is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glory, you continue to amaze me. I,too, saw Wall-e as a really cute, but very, very sad observation of where our planet and society is rapidly heading. The piles of JUNK.--value recognized only by Wall-e. The glitz was useless, the function was valued. The incredible, almost unbelievable value, of ONE tiny green plant. It actually made me sad to see it. You are SO right on with this analysis! Surprise, I saw it almost EXACTLY as you did. Well, maybe not so much of a surprise, is it, since I love gardening, bonsai, nature and animals? Great analysis and wonderful read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I enjoyed this wonderful movie! Perhaps it appeals to the junk-collector/recycler/innovator in me too. ":)

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?