Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fancy Ice Packs from Nothing


It’s Craft Tuesday, the day I take for talking crafts, because sewing, crocheting, knitting and other crafts come to save my sanity while the garden sleeps.

I'm looking through my stuff in the craft room and what should I find but two totally different things which oddly enough are destined to come together. Only thing they had in common was that they were both bright yellow.





 
The first was these two nifty little vinyl zippered baggies.  They had been given to me years and years ago by my kids' pediatrician when Tyler had been suffering from what we thought were allergies. Well, being my usual pack rat self, I saved them for some time when I might need them.




The second was an old maternity sweater Tommy gave me for Christmas an eon or two ago--how long is an eon anyway?

In the craft room the sweater which had a nasty stain on the front was sitting there waiting for me to find some use for it. The baggies held miscellaneous odds and ends, and weren't exactly very useful either. Then Brandon hurt himself playing basketball and that's when the light bulb lit. Literally, the light bulb did light up over head. Brandon had turned on the light in the kitchen, you see, and I immediately realized he ought to ice his knee and...


That's where the zipped baggies came in handy. I filled one with ice and he thought it was great. Much better than grabbing a bag of frozen peas from the freezer. I suppose at this point you're wondering where the sweater came into play. Well, I used the ice bag for an aching wrist a few days later, but I found it too cold. Yes, I know ice is supposed to be cold to work, but it didn't have to give me frost bite. 

So, that is when I made a handy envelope with the sweater, a small part of it, actually. There is much of it left over for some other future project yet to be thought of. Then  I stuffed the ice bag into it. That felt nice, cold enough to work without frosting my skin.

Now I have two nice ice packs in comfy wrapping when I had none before and it cost me....zero pennies and a few minutes time. Nifty!

2 comments:

  1. great idea! and a coincidence the sweater matched the bags? the look great.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?