Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, March 26, 2012

Tour of the Tree Field

I took a tour of the tree field one sunshiny day and look what I found. Remember how I mentioned last autumn how beech trees and oaks have a tendency of retaining their foliage all through winter and lose them sometime before spring?
Beech tree still holding on to leaves

Well, here is the beech and I don't think it lost even one leaf. I went up to it to see if the slightest touch would send them dropping. Not a chance! I pulled and tugged and...well, you'd think they were cemented on.




The star magnolias were blooming and this must be the earliest I have ever seen them out.

Even the Lilac tree was budding up. I'm always astonished how similar the leaves of the tree lilac are to the shrub lilac.


Tom will not be happy when I tell him I found his white pine all dried up and dead. Why it would die all of a sudden, is anyone's guess. It's not like it was a particularly harsh winter, but perhaps that was the problem. They may do better in cold-cold weather than they do in mild winters with little  rain. That may be it.


From a distance Tommy's arboretum isn't much to look at yet, but soon...

Hey, the Bradford pears are budding up and soon will be a cloud of fluffy white blossoms.

This is a cork screw willow tree I grew from a broken branch from the big one I have by the pond. I'll have to tell you about that sometime...unless I already have. I'll have to check.

I liked this French pussy willow against the sky. So good to see blue again!

Well, that was my tour of the tree field....some of it...for now. It'll get better as the season progresses.

3 comments:

  1. Glory, some white pines will turn brown and shed needles-but grow new ones. Fine a mature white pine, and at the roots, the base of the tree, and the soil, find some of the mycorhizea (sp??) (white moldy stuff!), take a couple of shovelfuls of soil and seed the soil around your little white pine. It's some kind of symbiotic relationship that is required for White pines. They thrive with it, and seldom live without it. Who knows, it may even help revive Tom's tree! Scratch the bark on the trunk and branches, if it's still green underneath, there's hope for it! ":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like seeing how the trees are changing for spring, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christyb, the trees are budding up, hm....this really should inspire Christyb, who I hear is always on the prowl for something very beautiful to write a poem about...see our Glory's star magnolia....":))

      Delete

Whacha think?