Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

K is for Kneeling

K is for kneeling today on this eleventh day of the A-Z blogging challenge. Gardener, as you should know do a heck of a lot of kneeling when out in the yard, but to tell you the truth, I don't like to kneel. Hurts my knees, it does.


So, instead I do my weeding while sitting.  Of course, that can get your toochie dirty and, in the case of my swampy garden, wet. That makes for rather uncomfortable weeding and I prefer to make weeding--which I find quite enjoyable unlike so many others-- as comfortable as possible. That way I can do it more often and for longer spans of time.




So, I came up with a solution to the wet butt I always would get while weeding. I made a sit-upon and I used all recyclable materials so it cost me nothing but a bit of time to make them. I made two of them, you see, because I found I could move along a garden bed more efficiently if I placed one in front of me as I moved along. It was so much easier than getting up and moving a foot or two over and then sitting back down. This way I just scoot on over to the next sit-upon.

I got the idea from one I still had which my daughter Alexis made almost an eon ago--seems like an eon anyway--at girl scouts. Hers was made with old newspapers for the filler and wall paper of some sort for the outside cover and was rather small--girl scout size. It was layered together and then sewn shut all the way around with yarn. All in all not bad, but I thought I could do a bit better than a bunch of girl scouts.


I used two large sturdy bags, one which came with cat litter  and the other with cat food--I liked the one for cat food better. It;s just made better. For filler I used all the plastic bags which Tom always brings home with groceries even though I have three dozen cloth bags just for that purpose. ~Side bar. I'll grouse about recycling when R comes around. End side bar~



 So I used every single one of them stuffing them fluffy full. I wanted good cushioning for my knees and/or butt. Then to make certain they stayed together I wrapped them in bright blue bags we must have gotten while shopping at Harbor Freight or something. There was no logo on it, so I'm guessing, but they were perfect. They fit in nicely and then I tied the handles together which made great handles for moving them to and from the garden. If I could find a space on the garage wall I could even hang them up.


So, all in all I was quite happy with my kneeling/sitting thingies. No, they weren't the prettiest things on the planet, but I didn't care about that. I just wanted them to work properly, so I could weed in comfort.








I didn't know how happy until I went outside and actually used them.
Blimey, I was happy the first day I was out there! They did a great job and so did I.






The herb garden looked good after a good weeding. Well as good as it can look this early in the season.Now I can do my kneeling and weeding in not-so-much style but at least in comfort. That's good enough for me.

4 comments:

  1. Glory, there are little trolleys with wheels and seats designed specially for weeding too, designed to roll sideways down a row.
    You might also try a 18" square of 2" styrofoam for kneeling, keeps the knees dry and warm too! (A nice bonus!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use those knee pads from Home Depot that construction workers use. They velcro on and are quite kooshy!

    Happy A-Z April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I have so many plastic bags! Weeding isn't my favorite activity, but it's a lot nicer when my back's not killing me!

    Brianna
    Find me @
    BibleBloggers (#476 on the A-Z list)
    and @
    1st Writes (My Writer's Group Blog, #482 on the A-Z list)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I have so many plastic bags. Weeding isn't my favorite activity but it's a lot better when my back's not killing me.

    Brianna
    Find me @
    BibleBloggers (#476 on the A-Z list)
    and @
    1st Writes (My Writer's Group Blog, #482 on the A-Z list)

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?