Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for Magnolia

For the A-Z Blogging Challenge M is for Magnolia, the Star Magnolia to be precise.


The Star Magnolia (M. Stellata) is a deciduous shrub growing in zones 4-8. It can get 10 feet tall with a 20 foot wide spread and is very slow growing. It gets its name from the somewhat star-shaped flowers most unlike other Magnolias.




The19-21 petals of each blossom are long, lazily floppy in a stark white color. They are the earliest to bloom in late winter or early spring.







Most cultivars are pleasantly fragrant and bloom profusely.









Such a lovely flower and a durable shrub. You can't kill this thing! Even Pocono winters and the harsh wind blowing about my yard won't do it any harm.









Alas, after lovely almost summer-like weather, we had  several nights of freezing temps and look what happened. The frost nipped them prematurely spoiling the otherwise lovely show.









Ah, well, we still have the Magnolia grande flora and the Jane saucer magnolia (purpley-pink buds shown here) to look forward to blooming. They're all budded up and getting ready. YAY!

7 comments:

  1. I love magnolias. I happen to live in a city named Magnolia. :)

    Great post,
    Michelle :)
    www.michelle-pickett.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flower and a lovely Southern Lady's name. My Aunt from Georgia was Magnolia! Nice Letter M post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely magnolia "M" post.
    Happy A-Z April!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an awesome piece of writing designed for all the online people; they will obtain advantage from it I am sure.

    my webpage; 2004 honda s2000 sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up, every time i used to check website posts here in the early hours in the morning, as i love to find out more and more.

    My blog youth baseball

    ReplyDelete
  6. Highly descriptive post, I enjoyed that a lot. Will there be a
    part 2?

    Also visit my web blog; mio heart rate monitor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for some other great post. Where else could anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing?

    I've a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.

    Also visit my website :: heart rate monitor watch

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?