Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Maple Flowers Bring Maple Seeds

Recall if you will when I mentioned I was fascinated by the rosy glow of the surrounding woods in early spring and that it was the Maple trees in full bloom. Well, those indistinct flowers have since turned into maple seeds.








I think these are just about my favorite tree seeds. Of course, I say this in the full knowledge that I'm likely to say the same thing about the next tree seed I come upon. I'm just funny that way.











But really, can you blame me for liking these? They're so pretty. Pink and green and oddly shaped, what's not to love? They're almost as good as flowers!









Plus I do so love it when they flutter to the ground in twirly-whirly spirals. You must have danced under a maple tree at least once in your life as a child when this delightful event happens. The seeds float down to earth in lovely cascades. You can imagine them as fairies dancing with you. Ah, the simple joys of youth!






 Of course, you don't have to be a kid to enjoy this happy time. And if you never experienced it...well, you just gotta do it!

If not, I compel you, I entreat you to do it this year. We'll call it Twirly-Whirly Maple Seed day. I'll let you know when it's safe to dance under the trees...not during a lightening storm, I can tell you for certain...but soon, very soon.








3 comments:

  1. Glory, I have to admit,those maple seeds are aerodynamically amazing aren't they? There are a gazillion of them too, just enough to start a whole new maple forest. NOT a bad thing.

    We have some huge maple trees in this area that produce bushels of seeds. "Are they edible? might be an interesting question. "Maple seeds toasted on an open fire on Twirly-Whirly Maple Seed day". ":)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the rabbits and squirrel seem to like them, but the cats tend to scare those away during this time, so I get sooooo many babies growing you don't even want to know. I should start selling Maple trees!

      Delete
  2. I don't believe there are any maple trees around here....I will have to keep my eyes open. I do have a keen eye for finding mulberry trees becasue I need the leaves for hte silk worms in my kindergarten class.
    Happy Monday1

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?