Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tree Geeks

Hidden cove under the Weeping Willow
Tommy and I are such tree geeks. There we were at the Special Olympics at Kutztown University with Justin and instead of sitting in the cramp room awaiting Justin's next event, we went for a walk out on the grounds and the surrounding neighborhood and what did we see? Trees, loads of them and we named them. No, not silly names like Fluffy and Fido. We would say their common and sometimes their botanical names. Yes, we do that, just can't help it. That's a tree geek for you!


There were some really fine trees on the grounds at the university, huge ones which were probably planted by the founders. I find that in itself amazing. I did wish I had brought my camera along with us, but I wanted to make quite certain the camera didn't give out before Justin's last event.

Tom especially liked the giant red-leafed beech trees. Oh, but they were gorgeous!

As it turned out, after the meet we went to a nice park somewhere in Allentown and...you guessed it, we saw more trees. This time I did take pictures and again, we named them.

This is a honey locust. Love that yellow-green hue to the foliage.


This is a linden, at least that was my guess from several yards away, but Tom wasn't certain so we went closer to know for sure.


I was right, although Tom, not to be outdone, insisted it was a big-leaf linden as apposed to the little leaf one we saw earlier in Kutztown. I doubt that matters to most folks but to a tree geek, it matters! The Linden is also called a basswood tree in places south, in case you didn't know. I've found many trees have different names down south. I'll have to tell you a few of my favorites sometime.

This one has me currently stumped although I perfectly remember I knew it instantly when we were at the park. I do think it is a weeping beech but it could easily be a weeping cherry. I just don't recall! I'll have to ask Mr. I-Forget-Nothing. He might know.

Okay, I'm back after several hours and I remembered on my own--there's a miracle! It's a Camper Down Elm. I love this tree. I believe the first one I ever saw which impressed me no end was at Cornell University in NY.  No, I did not attend. I went there with Tommy because...well, I don't really remember why. Perhaps because they do have rather nice woodland, vegetable, experimental and flower gardens plus a great arboretum and botany program. Of course we would go for all that...but I digress.

I believe this is a Japanese contorted or weeping cedar. Fascinating shape! It was obviously very newly planted in this rather impressive arboretum.

We even found a red-leaf beech, just for Tom, only this was a baby compared to the 100 foot plus ones at Kutztown. Beech tree 40 feet high is quite a baby, huh?




This weeping willow predictably was found growing nicely along a stream. A perfectly soothing spot to ease the soul, don't you think?

Yes, we are tree geek supreme and we make no apologies for it!






7 comments:

  1. Great pics, I really like trees too--even the tiniest ones, and I have a gazillion wild trees to admire. How cool is that? ":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking at the closeup picture of the leaves and thinking, that's a basswood.Then I read the rest of the paragraph. I never knew basswoods were also called Lindens (or vice versa)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am also surprised when I find new names for "old" familiar trees, but it's good to know. For instance I learned the Tupelo tree is what I've always called a sweet gum. Who knew? :-)

      Delete
  3. Love your photos and also love trees, always have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's not to love about trees? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Whacha think?