Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Tree Peony A-Bloomin'



After almost an entire week of rain I go outside to find my tree peony is a-bloomin'! Well, don't you know, I was thrilled.


But I wasn't the only one. Bees were buzzing all over the flowers.

They were so busy buzzing about from flower to flower that they didn't even care that I was taking their photos.

Look at the size of those beauties! And I don't even feed them.

 I will be doing an experiment with a clipping or two from this plant. I intend to graft a bit of this tree peony onto the rootstock of an herbaceous peony.

 Why would I try such a Frankenstein monster sort of thing? Because the lady down at the Dime Bank--Hello, Jackie!--asked me if there was a way to propagate tree peonies. Well, I must say she caught me by surprise. I had never tried and didn't even know if it was possible, but that didn't stop me from looking for the answer.

I did find an answer and after dismissing it as improbable I asked my more adventurous garden buddies for their opinions. Raymond-Bonsai/Grafting-Master--Kukkee told me there has to be a way, we just have to find it and Mike L. Williams aka MJ Logan of Monday's Muse and Saturday's Sunshine  gave me complicated, confusing and ultimately great directions which I plan to follow.

By gosh-by golly! I'm gonna propagate me some tree peonies...after they stop a-bloomin' of course.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Glory! there are MORE ways to propagate that peony tree too, one is to directly root 2nd year hardened cuttings, try rooting them directly in damp peat moss/soil mix, or even directly in a glass of water. In either case, cut them off at a node and put some rooting hormone on them first. Remember, ideally you should have a couple of very small leaves to give the twig a reason to grow and take up some water. If there are only BIG leaves, clip off half of the leaf with scissors. The slip may grow roots quickly, or it may take a few months depending on the plant characteristics or specific stock, so try a few all at once!
    The other way would be to dig up a small piece of root, it may actually begin growing by itself if you leave the top end just barely exposed at the surface. You can graft a piece of hardened wood directly to the piece of root like any grafting process.

    If those don't work, try air layering on a small unwanted branch you would probably prune off anyway. Semi-break (without separating it) or 'Damage' the bark on a small section of the branch close to a node or bud, and wrap the damaged area with a 'ball' of damp peat moss in clear plastic, sealing both the upper and lower ends with duct tape so it does not dry out. After a period of time, roots will begin to grow and will become visible in the 'sphere'. Then all you have to do is cut it off and carefully plant it! This process can take a year or two, so make sure it doesn't dry out. If it looks like it's drying out, make a hole in it, add some water, and seal it up again! That's it! ":))

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blossoming of those flowers is ridiculous, I love it!! I see the nosy bees didn't mind helping themselves. Hehehe. God bless and happy gardening!

    -Oscar Valencia

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?