Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Friday, May 18, 2012

Trexler Park in Allentown


After Justin's Special Olympic success at Kutztown, Tom wanted to make the most of his day off, since he has so few of them. He then took us to a park he just came upon in Allentown. He had been looking for the Allentown park we used to go to way back, but he simply could not find it again--just didn't recall where it was, which ended up being a good thing, because we then found Trexler park and I have to say I liked it better.

There is a nice pond with fish and ducks floating lazily about. We did see a duck dive-bombing into the water, too. Perhaps he was extra energetic?










General Trexler was some rich dude who used to have a summer home on this 410 acre spot overlooking Allentown.













The Trexler family summer cabin...super tiny by today's standards.








They did have their own well. Imagine that... at one time this natural spring had the best water in Allentown and now there is a sign saying this water is not safe to drink. Made me sad to see it.








There was quite the view at the top of the hill. The statue of General Trexler is situated in a perfect spot. You can see the arboretum and great lawn from there.







 Well, the statue of General Trexler explains that he died of natural causes, although there was nothing which actually pointed this out. I just knew it by looking at the statue. No, I didn't read it on a plague. The horse's feet, all four of them, are firmly on the ground. That's how I know. I'll explain about that some other time. I find it fascinating!




This was a good time of year to come if only because this pretty bright white azalea and its twin on the other side were in full bloom.

Really, Trexler park in Allentown is a fine place to spend a few hours on a lovely spring day. I do hope we get to come back again later this summer.


6 comments:

  1. A good chance that dive-bombing duck was a helldiver and they are pretty amazing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was your ordinary mallard but he was into dive-bombing fast in and skidding in the water. Wish I got it on the camera. It was nice.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a beautiful place! I have given your blog an award, which you can pick up at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! I'll run on over and see.

      Delete
  3. Very informative, beautiful place, Glory, would you please buy it for me immediately? ":) I don't mind that the cabin is kind of small...~R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, buy it for you? I'll have to see if Allentown is willing to sell it. Have my doubts.

      Delete

Whacha think?