Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, June 18, 2012

The Botanical Garden at Penn State

So, you know we were at the Special Olympics Aquatic state finals with Justin a while back, and that was fun, but while looking for the building which housed the pool we went passed the relatively new Penn State Arboretum--it would have been more accurate to have called it a botanical garden, but that's not for me to decide-- and you had to know I was not going to miss seeing it. Uh-uh, no way, no how!



First, we watched Justin and his fellow team swimmers, and wouldn't you know it! There was a pretty park right outside the pool. I was astonished to see so many lovely and fully blooming Dogwoods. I thought they would have been well passed bloom time. Let me tell you, I was thrilled! I just can't grow this kind of dogwood in my garden. They are my favorites, you know, and I'm so utterly bummed about it.

Anyway...We passed these sweetly scented bushes on the way to lunch, but I can't truthfully say I'm sure of the name. I want to say Sweetspire, but that would be a guess. If anyone knows for sure, do tell! * I just checked and sure enough, I was right! Someone give me a flowery star...or not. I'm just glad I know. YAY!


So, this is a bamboo lined walkway leading to the fountain, which I thought I had taken a photo of, but I couldn't find it. So instead you get a picture of silly me.


The Snowball viburnums were looking spiffy in bloom.


I saw this Amsonia and recalled that I had not seen my own Amsonia in my garden, which only means it didn't survive the winter. How bizarre is that? We had such a mild winter, by all accounts. All I can think is it may be a short-lived perennial. They are no fun at all. I've had those before--short-lived perennials-- which kind of sounds like an oxi-moron to this gardener. I mean to say, perennials should live forever!


I loved this patch of false Spirea also called Goat's beard. I gotta get me some of that!

I liked these pretty little things, but I don't recall what they were. Possibly a Campanula of sorts, but I'm guessing.

Oh, I loved these Heucheras. Must get some for the shade garden!

I had to get down on my belly to get a sniff of these tiny Dianthus. Well worth it!

Oh, but it was a pretty annual bed. And guess what fearsome creature we saw at the Penn State Botanical garden/Arboretum!


You guessed it...the Nittany Bunny Wabbit. We were shaking in our sneakers and we ran back to see Justin swim some more. I'm sure you can tell we made it out alive. ;-)



7 comments:

  1. I am a sucker for sweetspire (pun intended) and nice call on identifying it! Looks like it was a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was! I knew it'd be fun because it was my son's first trip to the state finals but it was certainly made better with the botanical garden. We never miss an opportunity to visit gardens. That would be insane! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always liked the snowball viburnums, they remind me of Germany. Not that they don't grow everywhere, it's just that it's one of the few I remember by sight, as I lack your knowledge of plant names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had always thought they were just white hydrangeas, but then I learned different from Tom's grandmother, who used to call them snowball bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need more places like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to visit them all, as many as I can find. Almost every state has a few. I think Florida and Virginia may have the most with Minnesota being second.We're members of the American Horticultural Society Reciprocal Admissions Program which send you a list of all botanical gardens which participate, and you'd be amazed how many do! It's a great way to find hidden garden treasures while traveling.Check it out online!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later and see if
    the problem still exists.

    Also visit my web blog - cccam server hack download

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?