Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Mystery Plant has a Name

It seems my mystery plant has a name...several perhaps.

Even though we could not positively find an identity for my mystery plant, we could find a name for it. That is to say, I have received several suggestions--from friends with nothing better to do but spend time enough to make me laugh. I have to say I liked all the suggestions and  I thought I'd give them to you for appraisal and possibly a vote on the best name.

Yes, we do know how to have fun around here.




Julie Helms must have had some down time over at Wooly Acres or it may have been all those sheep she tends to count which may have given her this idea in her sleep. She said:

It came to me in a dream last night!!! I KNOW what your mystery plant is....Gloriensis lennonalis! 
Well, it does have a certain ring to it.

Then came Raymond Alexander Kukkee of Incoming Bytes with the same sort of revelation. He responded with:

And here I thought it was Gloriosa lennonacea fam. gardenzeitgeist. 

My goodness, but I do have creative friends, don't you think?



But I do believe Mike Williams aka MJ Logan from Monday's Muse and Saturday's Sunshine beat them both with a thorough analysis before coming up with a likely candidate:

Mike details it well:


Possible Positive ID made. This is 
 Geranium pilferitum which results from growing the seeds derived (stolen) from an F1 hybrid. F1 hybrids are the plants grown from seeds when two other plants are deliberately crossed to create a hybrid. F1 is the 1st Familial Cross between two plants. 



 The subsequent generation of seeds are F2, or second family, seeds. These seeds will contain some, but not all of the characteristics of the F1 hybrid, and certain characteristics of the original grandparent plants -- those that were used to create the original F1 hybrid.


Note the soft, pleasing purple color of the flowers, characteristic of Geranium maculatum which is the Wild Geranium most of us are familiar with and love. The leaf structure is exactly that of Wild Geranium and would probably not change unless a new species was introduced.

Glory Lennon would be advised to collect the seeds from this plant and grow as many as possible while not allowing the flowers to cross breed, and only hand pollinating them to make them self-fertile. Select the plants that match this one, and grow those seeds as well. It will take 5-to 10 generations, but a stable, new cultivar will result and Geranium pilferitum will become "Geranium Glorious" named after the breeder (pilferer), Glory Lennon.

Really, is there anything left to say after that??? I do believe my mystery plant has a name... or two...or three.









5 comments:

  1. I am sure glad that mystery is somewhat solved. It's been keeping me up at night and when I did get some sleep I would wake up in a cold sweat worried Glory would never know what the plant is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought it might have been causing undue stress. Hope you get some restful sleep now.

      Delete
  2. Wow, too funny! Is this ever a beautiful flower, accidental or not, Glory!
    Thanks for sharing these photos. Quite unusual!

    I would have to happily concede that naming it Geranium Glorious Lennonalis fam. Pilferatum would be a perfect application of seed-borrowing logic and the beautiful results thereof. You shall be famous!
    Make sure you harvest some more seeds from it too! ":)

    um...-or would that be Cranesbill var. Gloriosa Lennonalis fam. Pilferatum ? hahahaha
    Great post! ~R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this was a lot of fun. I had a good reason to pull out my plant books (why did I need a reason anyway?) and a mystery is always fun when a bunch of fun people try to solve it.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?