Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Strangers in the Rhododendrons

This is my Rhododendron hedge and you may not know it, but there are strangers among us...sort of.


Notice anything about my Rhodo hedge? I mean besides the fact they are bordered by too-tall grass, loads of weeds and are hiding an incredibly wobbly fence--those nasty deer busted it up again!


It's hard to tell from the picture, but there are Sumac trees growing in and amongst the Rhodos. Yes, the Sumacs are the strangers. How did they get there? Well, it seems they were here first and rather didn't like my taking them down in order to plant this long row of Rhodos to replace them. Well, they just decided not to go away and I have ever since been digging them out again and again and transplanting them elsewhere.

But you know what? They won't be moved! That is to say, the Sumac refuse to take anywhere other than their own preferred spot...in and among my Rhodos. OY!

I do so want a sumac patch--just not with the Rhodos! They are so pretty, you know.  But alas, I may never have one...unless I leave them where they be and remove the Rhodos!


Every year I have removed them, replanted them in the place formally known as the Birch place and they promptly die, so I never get to see them in their autumn Glory. Blast it!

So, it's Rhodo time...and time to decide what to do with the misplaced and very much wanted Sumac.


4 comments:

  1. These pics are beautiful, Glory, thanks for sharing!. Those rhodos ARE gorgeous, I do wish we could grow them.
    That Sumac is difficult to get rid of, they spread by root-- we have a variety here that is totally invasive like ground elder! The difference is, we can eat the ground elder,even the varigate white as we discovered!
    If you want to move sumac, move it after it goes dormant in the fall otherwise it will die off because it grows so aggressively.
    ":))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may wait then for Autumn to transplant them...if I can remember to do it!

      Delete
  2. You have to transplant suckers. If you try to move the parent plant it will just die unless you can dig up a big enough root ball. Also, dig and move in the evening after sundown or early morning before sunrise.

    Find a sucker growing near the parent. Use a long spade to dig around it and sever it from the parent. Lift the ball and set it in a bucket. Move it to the new location.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike these have long horizontal roots (no root ball to speak of) just barely in the ground which I try to take out all of it and then I plant them straight away to reduce the shock--Never works. The entire place had been sumacs but we cut them all down and grass has grown in its place which we keep cut and that help to keep the sumacs from regrowing but not around the rhodos. I will try in autumn and see if that helps. In either case they have to go. I don't want sumacs in with the rhodos!

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?