Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, July 16, 2012

Invasive My Butt!

 No, I'm not saying my butt is invasive...although my jeans may say differently of late...but I digress. Bodes ill when I can't finish the first sentence without a digression!


Anyway, I speak of all the plants which supposedly are invasive in my neck of the wood, and there are quite a few as it turns out. Oddly enough, most of  them I either have or wish to have in my garden! What the heck is wrong with me? Or what the heck is wrong with those with the power to declare this plant and that one invasive?

I mentioned recently how Tommy came home one day stating he had just planted a Russian Olive in our yard--he had...borrowed it from an obliging field across from our home explaining thusly: "Bill was just gonna knock it down with his bulldozer, so I saved it. It'll be safer at our place. We'll take care of it."

No argument there, but the question remains if we should save it. Russian Olive, you see, is considered an invasive species through huge tracts of land from out west to the northeast. When my dear friend Julie Helms, of Wooly Acres fame, mentioned on Facebook-- No, I've quite given up telling you to follow me there. Do as you please.-- the Russian Olive eliminating campaign set up by those morons at the EPA.

"Oh, don't even mention that!" I wailed-- as well as one can wail on Facebook, I suppose. You see, every time we go by a particular spot on the highway--heading toward Allentown-- Tom sighs and laments, "They took down all my Russian Olive. It was the best part of this trip!" He used to ride with the windows down when these pretty plants were in bloom in spring. They have subtle pale greenish grey leaves which is a nice contrast to other more vibrant greens of early spring, but they also get a lovely flush of pale yellow blossoms with a wonderful perfume. Oh, what a heavenly scent! And now they are all gone! They killed them all! They took a bulldozer to the whole lot of them and left nary a one standing. Why? because they're invasive.

My butt they are! They are not that bad a plant. Yes, they drop a seed or two. Yes, they spread a tad, but what harm do they do? Well, you'll have to ask the experts for that information. All I know is what good they do, and I'll have you know it's a lot of good.

It isn't just that they are so pretty which they are and they provide a good deal of wonderful fresh smelling oxygen to counter all those car fumes, but they provide shelter and food for many a critter. The birds loved them for the tiny berries Russian Olive produce each summer. Those same small birds love to build their nests in Russian Olive clumps because they have thorns which keep most predators at bay--fox and hawks in particular. The rabbits and other small mammals also loved hiding under them for protection and to raise a family or two. Russian olives also hold the soil in place. They grow wild--or used to--where there was a lot of water run off and erosion. A clump of Russian Olive took care of that and looked good while doing it.

Oh, but I hate going by that one spot where they used to grow wild and free! All I see now is barren waste land with gnarly weeds growing there. UGH! That is an improvement??? You would think they at least would plant something to replace it, but that would require brain power. Just one more thing to get ticked off about the EPA. Not a brain among the bunch. 

 As I told Julie, Don't get me started! ...oh, well, she already did. 

So, yes, I have an invasive species on my property--several of them actually. I'll tell of those sometime-- and gosh-darn-it, Russian Olive is going to stay there safe and sound. Someone has to speak for the trees (and shrubs) for they have no tongues, and I suppose that means it's me. Those morons can kiss my invasive butt!














11 comments:

  1. My dad always said I was a moron. Does that mean I have to kiss your butt? No one has seen invasive till they have sat and watched Kuzu grow. Yes, you can actually sit there and watch it grow. At 1-3 feet a day it moves pretty quick for a plant. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kudzu is indeed a terribly destructive plant and should be removed wherever possible. It ruins, consumes and kills vast tracts of native vegetation and really does not provide anything good for wild life or anything.

      Delete
    2. It sure destroys other plants and trees but the little critters love it. It's a safe haven for rabbits, birds and all kinds of little creatures. Plus you can eat it as a salad green and my chickens love it also. Your right, burn it all to the ground...

      Delete
    3. Well, that's great that you've found some good use for it since it is so difficult to eliminate. Get more chicken is my advise! LOL

      Delete
  2. Right on, Glory! Give'em hell! Russian olive is great for stabilizing slopes and providing otherwise absent cover for wildlife. It is NOT invasive by any means. My folks had a couple and they did NOT spread anywhere, period. They are also quite beautiful! I believe you should send a note to the EPA and insist they replant your Russian Olives on that ugly, weed-covered land now! Well said! Whack'em and stack'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw the blurb, I was wondering what was invading your butt. I got scared for a minute. :-*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I didn't think of it that way! Sorry for the confusion. I wonder if I'll get loads of pervs coming to check out my butt??? ;-)

      Delete
  4. It is funny that around here there is a big push to get rid of all the invasive species....BUT no one bothers with the most annoying of all- the Eucalyptus trees....they are smelly, drop their twisted bark and pods that smell like cat pee- but instead they get rid of all the smaller things that we enjoy. The trees have outgrown the surrounding houses and one toppled over in a big rain and smashed a house and a car- with my a friend of ours inside- who was lucky to get out with just cuts from crawling out the smashed rear window. Funny what the EPA decides must go.

    Glad your tree is safe in your yard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I for one am not laughing. They really do not know what they are doing and don't know when to leave good enough alone.

      Delete
  5. Glory is now diverting from her own diversions and digressing from her digressions but that's completely ok with us. I have a half dozen invasive nasties and have never exterminated even one of them. (A brand new villain may well be masquerading as a parsnip)

    Glory would you like my grape vines, wysteria, morning glory, poison ivy, briars brambles and two or three other insidious crawling twisting thingers? How about Mr. Trust-Me-I-Am-A-Parsnip? You can have them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for the poison ivy, probably yes. I'm just funny that way. :-)

      Delete

Whacha think?