Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Un-Mutation

Did you know that variegated plants are mutations in nature? Well, they are, and did you also know that variegated plants can become un-mutated if left to their own devices? That is to say, they can revert back to the un-mutation, the plain green plant it had been at the beginning. Holy moly, huh?
Euonymous "Emerald Gaiety"
Here I found a great example while I was in Quakertown recently helping friends move out of their home. Yes, I found time before the actual work began to see what was going on in the gardens of the neighbors. Hey, it's what I do best!

What would Hosta be without the mutation?

Anyway, this is exactly what happened to my Lysmachia Alexander. It was a mutation, but it has un-mutated foliage growing back. Now nary a bit of my Lymachia is Alexandered--you know, variegated. The nerve of the thing!
Lysmachia without the Alexander
 If I had wanted a plain green lysmachia I wouldn't have paid the extra bucks for it. Okay, it's pretty as a picture once in bloom, but Gees-Louise, I love the pink-yellow-white-green splashed leaves. I'm quite sure the neighbor was wondering about their Euonymous "Emerald Gaiety" and the new solid green branches coming out of the white and green splashed shrub.
Lysmachia Alexander--Pink, yellow, white and green with envy

 Mr. Bonsai himself--Raymond Alexander Kukkee esquire-- has told us over at Incoming Bytes, about his own Un-mutation. Recall if you will, how he had a heck of a time getting rid of an un-mutated Snow-on-the-mountain, AKA Ground Elder. He doesn't even bother calling it Snow-on-the-mountain anymore and who can blame him? I mean to say, what, pray tell, is snow-on-the-mountain without the snow? Well, it's Ground Elder, that's what.
Got snow on your snow-on-the-mountain?

So what are we to do when our poor mutation decides to un-mutate? The experts tell us to snip off the offending branches in order to keep the plant mutated and variegated. Easier said than done, I'll have you know.


That is all we can do though. Keep clipping back the green and maintain the mutation from becoming an un-mutation.


7 comments:

  1. Glory, that un-mutated "Snow on the Mountain' Ground Elder ordinary green stuff is growing just fine. Because it's edible and good tasting too, I no longer struggle with it. but just treat it like grass. It's easier! ":)
    Sorry to hear about your Lysmachia
    Alexander,it's a beautiful plant! Green must be IN.
    Mutation isn't just planned either, I have found some mutated wild hosta in my wild forest, the rest are plain green, but the found plants are striated green, and are the only ones I have ever seen here. How about that? I am going to try to propagate it and see what happens, it may be the micronutrients. ":)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I know about plants, I'm quite sure what I don't know is vast by comparison. We can only guess.

      Delete
  2. I do love a nice variegation now and then. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello.
    Just stopping by to say hi. Visiting from the Post A-Z Road Trip - I'm on a quest to visit all 1,718 people who took part in the A-Z Challenge!

    Love your header image! Best wishes & thanks for sharing.

    Thoughts Of Beauty In The Stillness Of Dawn...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! I never really thought about it but I do have plants that have done this...I will surely have to ask my botanist daughter...when I get to her in New Zealand in 2 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do get some answers from her. This is baffling!

      Delete

Whacha think?