Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Berries!

Before they are berries, they are called flowers
 Recall, if you will, a while back when I told you about the stray bushes growing just outside our property. They were loaded with lovely rose-like blossoms

 
Wild berries down the road


Those bushes held the promise of a nice harvest of berries.


Well, I told no lies. They were over-loaded with pretty little blackberries. Of course, little did I know that I had a nice out-cropping of berries in the backyard, too. Unknown to me, they grew in and among the Rhododendrons. Actually, they always pop up there, but I usually weed them out before they get to this level of production. Well, what can I say? Procrastination, at times, has its rewards.

Rewards of the unexpected kind are twice as sweet. Did you know that? Now you do. I had myself a few bunches of berries. I got a few thorns, too. Yowsa, but those things can prick you! Totally worth it though.

I had myself a few bunches of berries. I got a few thorns too. Yowsa, but those things can prick you! Totally worth it though. Of course, when I mentioned this on Facebook, my pal Mac Pike admonished me to take care of the bears who frequent berry patches and declare them as their own, no matter what you may think of that notion.

I promptly told him I had never seen a bear in my yard, although the boys have since said otherwise. Brandon, who lives less than half a mile from here, told me a bear snatched up his garbage when they neglected to stow it properly away. Perhaps one should pay a bit more mind to the ramblings of Uncle Mac especially when he speaks of the bears.

Well, I still think I'm safe when picking berries, but now I do make quite certain there are no bears around.



2 comments:

  1. Nice! We don't have blackberries naturally in this area, but I'm sure they could be encouraged to grow. haha! Very raspberry-like, and raspberries thrive here, almost any variety. Great pics, Glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those berries make the best home made ice cream but I never get the berries! The critters do, every time.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?