Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Creepy Crawlies in the Garden

I don't usually get fussed about creepy crawlies in the garden. Heck, we're all God's creature, are we not? No bees ever bother me. Butterflies keep to themselves. Japanese beetles aren't the best to have around, but I've greatly diminished their presence in my garden as of late, so even they don't bother me much.



But then I was innocently yanking weeds and came upon a spider web stretched between a clump of Golden rod and a Mugho Pine. Now I've seen many a spider web all over my yard and I actually welcome them. Spiders are a great, organic type, fuss-free and cheap insect control for the garden, you see.



This particular spider, however.... YIKES! This thing kinda made me recoil a bit. First off, I didn't know if it could be poisonous. Not knowing made me prudently cautious. Looks dangerous to me!


So, did I try to kill it? No. I backed off and left those weeds and the web intact. I thought it was a good photo opportunity.
Spider's underbelly


So, I ask, does anyone know what this little creepy crawlie I found in my garden is?




10 comments:

  1. Glory, be careful with that spider. That specimen may be the 'fiddle-back' spider which has a very nasty, persistent bite.

    If you get bit by this spider seek medical attention immediately. If it is the fiddle-back, aptly named because it has a violin-shaped mark on it's back, the bite causes necrosis --which spreads, causing all kinds of ugly deterioration which requires surgery. CAUTION is required, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I mean really wow . . . I'm not a fan of spiders (I have a big problem with black widows around my home and in my plants), and I'm not afraid to admit that if I'd come across this guy (or gal) I'd have the husband transport it asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Believe me, I had half a mind to take a shovel to it! But it was just sitting there so peacefully and in truth, I'm not certain it's alive. I mean several days later it was still there in the same spot. It hasn't moved at all! Isn't that odd?

      Delete
    2. That is odd. I googled it and it is a black and yellow argiope spider that is harmless to humans and good for the garden. Seems yours might be useless for anything but an initial scare!

      Delete
  3. They may be good for some things, but I sure wouldn't want to be working side by side with them in my garden.

    Ah, just as I write this, the cutest little hummingbird flew up to my window greeting me with this beautiful morning:)

    Have a great day, Glory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glory, on Google this spider doesn't exactly fit the picture of the fiddleback (brown recluse spider) but it may be a related species? .... I have a friend in Arkansas that describes this critter of yours precisely, color and all. He has been bitten 3 times and the bites caused serious problems, so caution is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For once I know an answer! What you have yonder is a fine specimen of Argiope Aurantia, or black and yellow garden spider, or orb weaver, or for some reason "writing spider". Found all over the USA and parts of Canada they are supposed to be beneficial, (because they eat lots of other bugs) but I terminate them with extreme prejudice whenever I spot one. (No frient of spiders, me) It is supposed to be very difficult to induce one to bite you but who wants to find out! You just know they are going to breed more of themselves given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never really useless in the garden I figure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harmless is relative of course, apparently they are not venomous (although no one seems sure about that) but they can certainly bite and I can see initial pain and a potential infection there.

    Better your garden than mine, I'm thinking, Glory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are lucky to have her. Don't even think about harming her. These are gorgeous spiders; I have one in my butterfly garden for the first time in years. So glad. A gorgeous creature.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?