Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, August 6, 2012

Giving up on Sunflowers

So, I've decided to give up on sunflowers. That is to say, I will no longer plant them. That's not to say I won't have any in my garden. I'll always have some...just not necessarily always where I want them.

I'm delegating the planting of sunflowers in future to a more intelligent, more patient and far superior gardener. That would be the birds.
Lonely sunflower



Yes, this is the only sunflower which made it to germination this year and it was planted NOT by me. Know how I can tell? It's in the middle of the walkway! I planted a slew of sunflower seeds in nice fertile soil but nary a one sprouted. Why? It may have been anything...cool temperatures, too wet conditions, they were eaten by rodents. Your guess is as good as mine.
Plant sunflower? Me?

Bird on the other hand plant them--okay, they just kind of drop them-- but they sprout anywhere and grow! That's better than I can do, for sure and certain!

The point is, after all the times, year after year, of planting these sunflower seeds and ending up with nothing to show for it...well, it just makes me think I ought to give it up and handing it over to the birds who seem to do much better without even trying makes sense. Can you blame me?


2 comments:

  1. See, that is what happened when I planted them. Nothing. I am going to try again ... Once I am at my permanent home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'll relent and still plant them. I'm just going to do it like the birds, totally at random and carelessly. I think that's the trick!

      Delete

Whacha think?