My mystery plant gets an update.
It has a new home. Well, if you will recall I pondered breaking up the asphalt to enable me to extract the poor little plant with less stress and more success. I actually did ask Tom if he wouldn't mind too much. Beside the appalled look on his face he didn't say anything, not for nor against. Well, I examined the plant and the crack it protruded from and it seemed a bit wider than it had been last year, so I thought I'd give it a try. I took my little pry tool which I believe most people use to extract dandelion roots out of garden beds. Well, since this is almost a weed--or is to anyone other than me-- it seemed fitting.
Only thing was, it wasn't doing the job. The roots went far and wide, but as I pried up, the asphalt gave way in one huge chunk. Oops! Well, it made the job easier...not easy, just easier. Darn if those roots never wanted to come out! But I am nothing if not persistent. I won at last!
My mystery plant-- I really need a name for this thing-- is now in a new home. It seemed a bit weepy after the transplant--it wasn't the best time to do it, but with all the rain we've recently been getting it has since perked up a bit. Fingers crossed that it makes it and that I finally discover what it is.