Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Strange Bird

Brandon tells me about a strange bird in the front tree field yesterday and his only description was, "It had a green head and was funny looking."

Well, that could be anything....as long as it was wearing a green cap, I suppose. I suspected what it was and told him so. I also hoped the strange bird would come back so I could photograph him. If it was the same bird I was thinking of, he had been around before and would likely return.



So, lo and behold, I'm coming home after dropping off Justin this morning over at Lords Valley and who should be walking down the road, but the strange bird himself.


Yes, indeed it was the very same bird I had seen in the backyard a year ago and boy, did it make a loud ruckus then. It was, however, very quiet now which was good so early in the morning.


I stayed in the car so as not to frighten it away, so the picture quality isn't the greatest, but I'm rather certain you can see him well enough to make your own guess as to what he can be.

So, what do you think of my strange little bird? Can you guess what he is?

10 comments:

  1. I do believe its Mr. Pheasant,
    (On a platter, oh so pleasant!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thought upon seeing him was, "Mac would like to eat him!"

      Delete
  2. Three long tail feathers...that bird been's around a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that really how you measure age? How fascinating!

      Delete
    2. Glory it is not definitive, but two tail feathers are common in 1 year old male birds; they usually don't get a third feather until their third year. Average life is about 14 months in the wild. A three-year-old bird is rather rare. The hens are far less showy than this rooster.

      Delete
  3. Glory this same bird has been hanging at my yard and he owns the whole street always around early am and before sundown. Yesterday he was on Vally view rd by Hemlock Grove Rd Mom and i love to see the bird and we look for it daily, I see our bird has been trucking down to your place now...Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, this birdie does get around! Hope Mr. fox doesn't get him.

      Delete
  4. Glory, this is a Ring-necked pheasant....beautiful birds and very, very edible...you're lucky to see them, they're not that plentiful. ":)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glory, this is definitely a ring-necked pheasant, 'good to eat' and very beautiful.
    This is the second time I've entered this comment. ":)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here I was thinking the Republicans killed Big Bird...LOLOL

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?