Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Thursday, February 28, 2013

From one comes many

The best thing about plants is from one comes many. That is to say, I can make many plants by selective vegetative propagation. Take this Coleus for instance...I mean, take a few clippings, not the whole thing.

Maybe just a piece or two here and there. Snip them off and set in soil or water and allow them to take root and you have a new plant. Don't believe me?



That's how I got these....

And these...all from cuttings. Not rocket science. It's botany, actually! Cool huh?



From the lack of sun this Coleus got a tad leggy and spindly looking. So, I clipped off several pieces.


Then I set them in water. I could plant them in soil and keep the soil moist, but I like watching the roots grow in the water...just a fun thing for me.


I might clip a few from this one too.


Then again...how many coleus plants does one person need? Oddly enough, as many as I can root!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Glory, your flowers are going viral! Propagation by cuttings is very cool and smart too--perpetual plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did lose a few, but I can always get more...snip-snip here, snip-snip there...

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?