Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Monday, March 4, 2013

Crocheting for Charity

Crocheting for charity is not a new thing. There are all sorts of wonderful organizations which do this. I found one on Facebook recently run by my friend Marie Anne St. Jean of Crooked Yarn fame. I thought I'd tell you about it, just in case you'd like to do some crocheting for charity, as well--or you could let the crocheters in your life know about it if you don't knit or crochet.

 Hands, Hearts, and Hugs - Crocheting for a Cause provides comfort afghans--comfort-ghans we call them-- to little kids and adults who have experienced trauma of some sort. It's a way to show them that someone out there cares.


 I voluteered to join granny squares that others have made, because I don't really have time to make a full afghan on my own. Most crocheters, it turns out, love making the squares and can work at lightning speed doing them, but they hate joining them into afghans. I, on the other hand, like the joining aspect. Go figure. It's a perfect fit!

So, within days of me putting my name out there as someone willing to join squares, I received a box full of bright and cheery colored granny squares. I had fun arranging them and then putting them all together.


I had enough squares to make two afghans. Here's the first finished one which I'm planning on sending off soon.


I'm in the process of finishing the second one. I have a few rows of squares put together already. When I have enough rows, then I join the rows to form the afghan. Sounds tedious, but it's not.

 Crocheting is fun and relaxing and many people  do it simply to have something to do. So crocheting for charity as great for them. They get to do something they love and make things which someone might really appreciate and need.

If you know of anyone who could use a comfort-ghan, let us know. It's like sending a hug which lasts for a long time.







3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Glory! Hand-crafted afghans are so comfortable. Great job. You assemble afghans like you assemble stories--beautifully. ":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You flatter me, Raymond, and I love ya for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to have you 'join' us, Glory! Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?