Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

X is for Xanthein


Daylily
X is for Xanthein.

No, you are not going nuts nor did you miss all my posts for April's A-Z Blogging Challenge. I didn't enter it this year...just didn't have the time for it. I did, however, make two posts for X last year when I did do the 2012 A-Z. This post has just been hanging around waiting most patiently for this day to show its fuzzy, yellow head.

It has been bugging the heck out of me that I had this one post for an entire year scheduled to post today. Yes, for a whole year it has been staring me in the face and quite frankly, I'm sick to death of it and will be so glad to see it gone!

So, without further ado about nothing much... X is for Xanthein, something I didn't even know what it was until I went to the dictionary for an idea for an X word.



Tree Peony


Don't know about you, but I was pretty wary of this letter. You must be aware there is little over one page of X words in the dictionary, don't you? YIKES!






Forsythia





There was only one thing I could think of for this least used letter and I already used it last year. I thought it would be cheating to do Xeriscaping again.





Tropical waterlily






Needless to say I was astonished and rather happy to find something right up my alley--or should I say garden path?








Trumpet vine





Xanthein is something all these flowers here have in common. Have you guessed yet what it could be?






Calendula








Well, if you were stuck with finding an X word and quite certain you came across it. I did mention there was but little over one page worth of X words, didn't I?






Sundrops








Well, if you were lucky enough to find an X word without help, Xanthein is what makes all of these flowers yellow. It is yellow pigment of the water soluble variety no less.


Asiatic Lily












See? Even I could learn something new today. Who knew X was for Xanthein? Hmm...possibly Raymond Alexander Kukkee who loves sunshiny yellow flowers!






4 comments:

  1. How very clever Glory, this yellow is my favourite colour, --and I did not even notice the word 'Xanthein' and I did not know what it was. I did "Xeriscaping" in my A-TO-Z.

    Xanthein does play a major role in the flower world, giving us that brilliant sunny yellow, see why you're the zeitgeist of gardens? Only very smart gardeners know that, it seems. This post was worth waiting for, I say!
    Bright yellow flowers make people happy, like you do by sharing these beautiful pics! Thank you. ":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An entire year...Glory, you're too funny! Here I thought you were teaching me the name of a new flower to crochet...I was gearing up, brewing some ideas on how to do it too. As I started reading your post all the way through, I laughed and said to myself, "I wonder if that's what they use to dye the yarn and doily thread I use." hahaha Very nice post, Glory:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an extraordinary job on your A-Z blog posts. Loved them all!

    ReplyDelete

Whacha think?