Glory's Garden

All the world's a garden, you know, and we are mere flowers within it. Come, I'll show you!

Don't get any funny ideas!

©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved

My Peeps!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Itchy palms and other old wives' tales





So, there I was minding my own business when I felt an itch on the palm of my hand and --shocking as it may seem-- I scratched it.

Tom smiled and said, “Guess you'll be getting some money tomorrow.” I just laughed and replied, “I wish!” Which wasn't true. I don't usually wish for money. What could I do with money? I already have a craft room bursting with yarn and as that would be the only thing I would buy with the green stuff, well...it would be wasted on me.



This simple statement, however, made me wonder why some superstitious people actually believe this...that an itchy palm warns of a surprising addition to your bank account or wallet. Well, it's just another in a long line of unexplainable old wives' tales. I know a few really wacky ones, mostly from my sweet and funny aunt Maggie. Wanna hear em? Well, click on the next post if you don't, cuz here goes anyway:
#1: Don't eat out of a pot or you'll never prosper and you'll always stay poor.
#2: Dropped Silverware means a visitor is coming and if it is a fork it will be a female and a knife indicates a male visitor.
#3: Don't read right after eating or you'll get a headache.
#4: Don't eat while nursing a baby or he'll choke.
#5: If you spill salt quickly toss the offending salt over the shoulder to ward off evil spirits or bad luck.



Well, I think they are wacky as all get-out, but they are certainly good for a laugh.

If you know any and you'd like to share some, please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whacha think?